Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Getting around Bangkok questions

• daydreamfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Hi everybody -

I'll be visiting Bangkok for the 1st time Feb 11th - Feb. 16th. I hope things calm down some by that time...either way I'll be there. I have been researching this forum for quite some time and have found a lot of useful information posted by people here. I do have a couple of questions about getting from point A to B in Bangkok and would like to see what recommendations people here might have.

I arrive in Bangkok by train at Hualamphong early on the 11th. I can't check into my guesthouse until 2pm so I'll store my bags (a wheelie and little backpack) in the storage lockers at the station while I wander around Chinatown for the morning and early afternoon hours. My guesthouse is in the Banglamphu area off of Samsen Rd. so I'd like to know your recommendations as to the best way to get there from the train station?

Once I'm at my guesthouse getting around shouldn't be a problem as I'll either walk, use the Chao Phraya express or taxi when necessary.

On my last day (which is a Saturday) my flight doesn't leave until midnight so I plan on spending the day in and around Chatuchak and Talat Rot Fai. I'll need to find a place to store my bags that day and had heard that there are left luggage facilities at the Mo Chit bus terminal on the 3rd floor. Can anyone confirm this and is that the best option for leaving luggage in that area for the day? Also I'd like to know what is the best way to get up to the Mo Chit bus terminal from Samsen Rd. and what are the best options are for getting from Mo Chit to the airport at say 8-9pm?

I'll appreciate any input and thanks again for all of the good information I've found here.

#1 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 12:05

• Advertisement

• daydreamfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Stumped again.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 20:57

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If it were me I'd head straight to your guesthouse and leave your bags there. Most GHs have storage facilities, often free if you're just waiting to check in.

On the last day I'd pay for an extra night or a late checkout at your GH. Cannot think of anything worse than spending a hot sweaty day wandering around Chatuchak and then getting on a long haul flight without having had any opportunity to take a shower. If you only want to pay for a late checkout and still have time to kill you could probably leave your bags for a few hours at your GH again. You could spend those last few hours having a relaxing massage and enjoying a nice dinner before picking up your bags and heading to the airport.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 21:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

i'm a big fan of late check out and day rooms too. it gives you a place to store your stuff, shower up before you head out to the airport or train station or whatever, even take a nap if you want. the cost is low compared to the convenience.

if you didn't want to head all the way back to where you are staying from chatuchak, maybe you can find a guesthouse in that general area. sorry, but i don't have any specifics to offer there, although i recall folks mentioning a few places in that area.

taxis are pretty cheap in general in bangkok, and i'd definitely say it is worth the extra few baht just to grab a cab from samsen up to mo chit and then from mo chit again to the airport - particularly that time of night. you'll pay less for a taxi to the airport in bangkok than you would for the airport bus in most cities in europe or north america.

good luck and have fun. cheers.

#4 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 21:48

• daydreamfar-
    mer

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

Thanks for the replies -

I hadn't thought about getting a day room. I'll have to check into that.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 07:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.