Thailand forum

Silver Thai cutlery

• jan1

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2004
    Places visited:
    At least 16

Hi
    Can anyone tell me where I can buy some Thai stainless steel cutlery the ones with the decretive handles in Bangkok other than the C C market as I might not be able to be in Bangkok on the Sat or Sun when the market is on?
    and any ideas on how much you pay for 1 piece ?
    Many Thanks Jan

#1 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 01:53

• Advertisement

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Yes, no problem. Although I don't have their business card here at office, I can send you later today when I am back home.

There is a shop at Amarin Plaza (BTS Chit Lom). The shop is on the 3rd floor. When you arrive with the escalator on the 3rd floor, keep yourself left and you will see the shop. It is a bigger one, next to all the souvernir shops.

The shop itself is not cheap. On JJ it is much cheaper, but although they do look all similar, they come from different factories. At Amarin they have a really wide selection of styles and pieces. The prices vary with the piece, not with the style. A normal set of knife and fork is not so expensive, but a bread knife can cost up to 20 US$.

I bought alot of this stuff and own a hughe set at home now, but I think I spend in total about 400 US$ for everything. But I have 4 different type of knifes, forks and spoons, espresso spoons, chop sticks and butter knifes. It does look great on a dinner table!

Besides the shop in Amarin, you can find pieces here and there in town, but it is the only shop I know with such a great selection of things.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 08:14

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

#3 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 08:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Any shopping centre will have stuff like that. Expensive though.

#4 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 08:36

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Hi Leonard,

actually no. I was walking like crazy through Bangkok to find cutlery like that, but I could find it nowhere. The department stores don't have this style of cutlery. You can find it on some markets, but only with a tiny selection of styles and types. The biggest choice you have on Chatuchak market, but even there you won't find pieces like special spoons and knifes, something like an espresso spoon for example. On the market they mainly have knife and fork for main dish and maybe if you are lucky a sald fork.

That shop is the only shop I have found so far which offers a wide choice of cutlery.

So if you have lots of time, you can look somewhere else. If you are in Bangkok on a weekend, go to JJ, but if you are low on time on weekday and can pay a little more, go to Amarin Plaza.

#5 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 09:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Mbk has it
    Centre opposite pratunam has it

#6 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 18:05

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Hi Leonard,

although I am a frequent MBK customer I have never seen it there. But I would be very happy if I could compare the prices since the shop in Amarin is really expensive compared to JJ. Do you remember where you have seen this kind of cutlery in MBK? Floor number would be sufficient but if you know the store number that would be perfect.

#7 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 02:07

• jan1

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2004
    Places visited:
    At least 16

Thanks everyone for their input at least it gives me a few places to start looking
    Jan

#8 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 06:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Cant remember. Might be 5. Centre to the east of pratunam has it. Forget the name. Fairly new centre. Corner of new phetchaburi rd and ratchaprarop.

#9 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 08:37

• jan1

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2004
    Places visited:
    At least 16

Thank everyone for your help did a one stop shop at the TOU shop Mr Pan tel no 02 650 4649 toushop@yahoo.com Armarin Plaza3rd floor
    His silverware comes straight from the factory and I believe and looks like very good qualilty loads of choice he has everything from cutlery all ranges, wine holders, square,rect, oval trays, salt pepper, square, triangle and round bowls plus loads more homeware.

#10 Posted: 13/2/2014 - 19:29

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Good news then.

#11 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 11:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.