admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thailand has declared a 60-day State of Emergency starting tomorrow (Wednesday). The news is still breaking, so light on details, will update this thread as more becomes clear.

As it stands the SOE has no curfew.
    It covers Bangkok the the surrounding area.

The SOE gives agencies power to impose curfews, detain suspects without charge, censor media, ban political gatherings of more than 5 people and declare areas off-limits.

Some brief media coverage includes:
    Reuters
    AsianCorrespondent
    BBC
    Will update as the situation becomes clearer.

#1 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 05:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The SOE commences at midnight tonight and the areas covered by it are Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Thonburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan.

Others have suggested that this means the scheduled election of Feb 2 is pretty much done and dusted.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 06:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

The big news is Taksin flew.into.bkk at midnight and wants to meet protest bosses in CM.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 06:57

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Next Thursday (January 30) we arrive in CM for one week, fly to BKK for one week, then fly to Trat for Koh Kut for one week. My husband has been reading the news and is getting extremely nervous about going. In fact he wants to cancel the trip. I am inclined to feel that it will be okay as long as we use common sense and avoid areas where there are protests going on.
    Can anyone who is there now provide some perspective for us? Reassurance?
    Thank you very much

#4 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 16:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just to put it in a bit of perspective, according to this document by Twitter user Thai101 at least one province of Thailand has seen a State of Emergency declared every year for the last 55 years...

@heidisueelvus My advice would be to not cancel -- partly because Ko Kut is absolutely gorgeous but also because the bulk of your time is outside Bangkok. If anything, perhaps alter your itinerary to spend less time in the capital.

For example you could cancel/throw away your Chiang Mai to Bangkok flights and take that week away from Bangkok and instead spend it overlanding between the two cities by a mix of bus and train. For example say two days in Sukhothai , two days in Ayutthaya and two days in Kanchanaburi only returning to Bangkok for your flight to Trat.

If you'd like more ideas, we have suggestions on breaking up the Chiang Mai to Bangkok trip here and here (in both cases the stories are in a Bangkok to Chiang Mai order, but just read them backwards ;-)

Matters could change of course, but at least for now, there is no way I'd suggest cancelling a trip.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 16:40

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Thank you somtam!

Your suggestions are very helpful. We will keep things as is for now, and if things don't sound so good we will change our plans to explore more of the country north of Bangkok instead. I'm hoping that having that option will help my husband relax a little and it's something I wanted to do anyway!

#6 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 18:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

CM is boring anyway. If you avoid the big cities you won't notice a thing. I'd be flying to the beaches. No need to even leave the airports in the cities if you get flights that match up.

Airports in Trat, Trang and Krabi with good access to islands and beaches.

#7 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 19:15

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

586700.jpg

Found this in today's Bangkok Post. What on earth does "To prohibit any alien person from leaving the country" mean?

What's your source for #3 Leonard?

#8 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 20:09

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Thai sources. Apparently its on thai websites but i cant read thai to check.

#9 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 21:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand: State of Emergency declared ... By bembot on 29 Aug 2008 37 12647 5 Dec 2008
State of Emergency declared in Bangkok ... By somtam2000 on 8 Apr 2010 186 50452 21 Dec 2010