Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Bulon Lae marina resort

• AddyH

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Hi,

Travelfish recommends this resort, but I'm having problems finding out any other information or contacting them. Does anyone know if the resort still exists and if so, how I can reach them ?
    Alternatively, any good tips on other accommodations on Bulon Lae would be very welcome.

Many thanks !

#1 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 07:20

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The joint was up and running towards the end of last high season - it's always been a successful place with one of the best restaurants in the beachside area so I doubt it has closed down.

Thing is Thai places in general don't have a good record of replying to emails, more so when they are booked out. And maybe Marina is particularly at fault in burning potential customers in such conditions - it was the first place I called into last March but the older lady in reception did not even bother looking up from her book when I asked about a vacancy, simply waving me away with a "NO HAVE!"
    I consequently got the sulks and even though the restaurant in my adjacent Bulon Hill resort was a bit more expensive, I refused to eat at Marina. And in future visits I will shun the joint. So there!

The other 4 beachside joints are all good standard although average prices at Bulone Resort and Pansand are higher. And basic School Bungalow only has 5 bungalows and the school mam never seems to be around when I arrive. Bulon Hill is a sweet place with traveller type bungalows of different types, good food and sweet hosts - Katja gave me a fantastic introductory talk on the bungalows and Bulon Lae, and her map of the island is very good. Bit hard to find - look for the sign to the left as you walk towards Bulone Resort's northern gate from the bottom of the cross island path adjacent Marina. Joint seems popular.

The village area over the hill has an abundance of accommodation so if you dip out beach-side, 10 minutes on the now well-surfaced track will get you across there. I particularly thought Jungle Hut about 300m along the side track to Mango Bay on the leftt was a neat location with lotsa extremely good value bungalows and a very inexpensive restaurant. Being a good 20 minutes walk from the best beaches meant it was uncrowded. I'm gonna stay there next visit.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 18:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

What is above avg prices?

500 baht, 1000 baht?

#3 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 21:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Duh, can't remember the details. But both Bulone and Pansand are online - check 'em out. Will get current prices too.

To me, many Bulon Lae places seemed to have prices pretty comparable other islands in the Andaman south of Phuket where you are struggling to find places under 800 in dry season and stuff of flashpacker standard more likely 1500+. However Bulone Hill had some rustic but okay 400 bungalows (although Katja told me they were due for redevelopment) and Jungle Hut had nice looking large bungalows for 400 and small for 200 - all with bathrooms. Don't get high season prices like that on many islands these days.

#4 Posted: 22/1/2014 - 22:55

• AddyH

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2012

Once again - thanks tezza for the great information.
    Do you think we'll get a room OK if we just turn up ? (1st week of April).

#5 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 02:36

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Well April is a good time to travel - usually the wet season (which aint too bad a travel time in itself) is yet to hit yet it tends to be shoulder season. I reckon you will find a bungalow definitely on the village side and there is a fair chance beach side.
    Hint - I've found the travel agents opposite the station in Trang (I'm told there is at least one at Trang airport too) are real good not only for van-boat tickets but phoning ahead for vacancies etc. I've never used them for accommodation finding, but there are plenty of booking agents at Pak Bara can no doubt do the same. That way you could find out if about Marina and others.

#6 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 05:13

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I stayed at Bulone (mind you, that was in 2012) and found it pleasant.

#7 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 16:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Pleasant ? Is that like okish?

#8 Posted: 16/2/2014 - 04:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.