Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3 Weeks in Thailand 2014 - Where should we go?

• howtravel

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2014

Looking forward to 3 weeks holiday in Thailand. Have booked flights to Bangkok arriving second week of February 2014.

As a couple (30/40s) we are new to Thailand and looking for:

Mostly laid back beautiful beach relaxation.
    A few great sights and trips but but not adrenaline filled action.
    Maybe stay in 2 main places in hotel/holiday rental but take trips.
    Decent quality accommodation around £75-100 / 4000-5400 BHT per night.

It looks good if we fly to Krabi then travel to Koh Lanta and ??? another destination in the Andaman? Or maybe stay in Ao Nang?

Febuary does look quite busy when it comes to booking hotels. Does anyone think we should split the holiday with somewhere different in Thailand such as Phuket/Kaoh Lak or Koh Samui/Ko Chang in Gulf?

Really grateful for any advice from anyone.

#1 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 08:09

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi How,

Your nightly hotel budget is so far above what I normally spend that I can't offer any specific suggestions there, but good for you! Your three weeks in southern Thailand strolling the beaches and not rushing from place to place sounds lovely. Any of the spots you mentioned are great.

If it were me, I'd likely start off in Krabi and then move along when I was ready to one or two other places. I might consider spending a few days on Samui on my way back up to Bangkok, but I wouldn't haul my cookies all the way to Koh Chang unless I had a specific reason.

I'd say that time of year you should have good weather on both the gulf side and the andaman side. See for yourself at:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#2 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 17:18

• howtravel

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2014

Hey thanks for the response really appreciate it. Trying to make it a special trip. The price of accommodation in Thailand varies so much it's very different to other places I have visited.

Maybe its worth doing 1 way flights. Bangkok - Samui or Phuket - Krabi then boat to Lanta.

I was looking at staying Ao Nang because you have beautiful scenery in that region but after reading up on it I have been discouraged. Not sure where to go in Krabi mainland. Be great to have a couple of places that take your breath away!

#3 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 18:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

1. 2500 baht a night is plenty. You can get 4 stars online for less than that.
    2 Ao nang is a good base to explore the region. I've stayed there several times. Forget the negative gibberish people write. They are ignorant. The thing with Krabi is get out and explore either via tours or hire a car or bike. Hot springs, kayaking and snorkelling tours are great. The beach in Ao Nang is average but you've got access to Railay/Phra Nang or ride to Khlong Muang near the Sheraton. Good ride out that way. Krabi town is a good ride too and good Thai food there.

3 Trang town is a nice spot for a few days. Rough looking town but real Thailand here. Night market is outstanding. Tour to Emerald cave lagoon on mook plus snorkelling at ngai and kradan is good.

4. Maybe check out Ko Lipe. Same side of coast.

If adding more I'd fly up north rather than do the gulf which is just same same. Fly to Chiang Mai and hire a car and drive to Mae Hong Son.

Airports in Krabi and Trang. I'd skip Phuket unless you're into mass tourism.

#4 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 07:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 weeks in Thailand and Myanmar in November 2014 ... By Edinburghgirl on 19 Apr 2014 0 688 19 Apr 2014
4 Weeks - August 2014 - Thailand, Cambodja, Laos and Vietnam - Help please! ... By caroquette on 15 Apr 2014 3 881 16 Apr 2014