Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Five nights to travel from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

I'm interested in renting a car and driving from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai . The route I'm most interested in would be from CM to Chiang Dao, Phrao, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Sukhothai.
    Can anyone tell me if this is doable logistically? If it is, is it too much ground to cover in 5 nights? Is it possible to rent a car in CM and drop it off in Sukhothai or Phitsanulok?
    If it's not so good do you have any other more realistic suggestions?
    Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 27/1/2014 - 21:42

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Budget and Avis do 1 way drop offs. Google those companies for locations. Probably too many towns for 5 days. Chiang Dao is really small and the main things there are the Elephant Camp (outside town) and the cave. Phayao is a nice Thai town around a lake with some cool temples on the hills nearby.

I'd do CM-Phayao (scenic drive)- Lampang-Phrae-Si Satchanalai-Kampaeng Phet -Sukhothai.

#2 Posted: 28/1/2014 - 20:51

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Thank you so much for your reply. I was afraid it would be too much to do in 5 days. I'll get out my map and check out the route you suggest.

#3 Posted: 28/1/2014 - 21:52

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Depends what u r looking to do. Chae Son np has hotsprings north of Lampang.

Google.maps will tell u how far each town is. Some of those towns could just be a day trip. For 5 days id overnight in only 3 of them.

#4 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 03:23

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

We want to get off the beaten track a bit - see some beautiful countryside. explore some smaller villages, would love to visit some NP's and do a bit of hiking, maybe rent bicycles. In my reading, I thought the area around Nan sounded like just what we were looking for, but maybe it's too far to include.

#5 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 07:52

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Havent been to Nan so dont know. Good treks go for a few days so u couldnt really do it in your time frame without cutting out other places.

#6 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 08:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sukhothai to Chiang Mai bus ... By Garm on 2 Jun 2010 3 9238 5 Jun 2010
NYE in Chiang Mai or Sukhothai? ... By vinygo on 8 Nov 2010 2 1751 12 Nov 2010