Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Five nights to travel from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai

Posted by heidisueelvus on 27/1/2014 at 21:42

I'm interested in renting a car and driving from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai . The route I'm most interested in would be from CM to Chiang Dao, Phrao, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Sukhothai.
Can anyone tell me if this is doable logistically? If it is, is it too much ground to cover in 5 nights? Is it possible to rent a car in CM and drop it off in Sukhothai or Phitsanulok?
If it's not so good do you have any other more realistic suggestions?
Thanks so much!

#1 heidisueelvus has been a member since 20/8/2010. Posts: 28

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 28/1/2014 at 20:51

Budget and Avis do 1 way drop offs. Google those companies for locations. Probably too many towns for 5 days. Chiang Dao is really small and the main things there are the Elephant Camp (outside town) and the cave. Phayao is a nice Thai town around a lake with some cool temples on the hills nearby.

I'd do CM-Phayao (scenic drive)- Lampang-Phrae-Si Satchanalai-Kampaeng Phet -Sukhothai.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by heidisueelvus on 28/1/2014 at 21:52

Thank you so much for your reply. I was afraid it would be too much to do in 5 days. I'll get out my map and check out the route you suggest.

#3 heidisueelvus has been a member since 20/8/2010. Posts: 28

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 29/1/2014 at 03:23

Depends what u r looking to do. Chae Son np has hotsprings north of Lampang.

Google.maps will tell u how far each town is. Some of those towns could just be a day trip. For 5 days id overnight in only 3 of them.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by heidisueelvus on 29/1/2014 at 07:52

We want to get off the beaten track a bit - see some beautiful countryside. explore some smaller villages, would love to visit some NP's and do a bit of hiking, maybe rent bicycles. In my reading, I thought the area around Nan sounded like just what we were looking for, but maybe it's too far to include.

#5 heidisueelvus has been a member since 20/8/2010. Posts: 28

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 29/1/2014 at 08:26

Havent been to Nan so dont know. Good treks go for a few days so u couldnt really do it in your time frame without cutting out other places.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.