Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

After some help finding a quiet island in June-July...

• EddieWalker

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014

Hi Travelfish guys,

My Partner and I are planning a trip to thailand for 17 days in june-july this year. We are landing in Chang Mai and planning to spend quite a lot of time discovering the north and possibly doing a slow boat down the Mekong into Laos (heard its quite good?).

Anyways to finish of our trip we would really like an awesome beach getaway and have discovered that the gulf of thailand is probably best to avoid really bad weather. We are more interested in a lazy and relaxing experience with some exploring and maybe snorkelling, sipping a few beers and watching the sunset kind of stuff, as apposed to a huge rave/full moon party (heard they can be really touristy).

read some info on Koh Mak and it looks like the ideal place, but the weather could be bad? also we fly out from phuket so the closer we are, the easier it will be to fly home.

any information would be awesome, you cats know your stuff :)

cheers,

Eddie.

#1 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 02:22

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Statistically it's the SOUTHERN Gulf which tends to be drier mid year - the EASTERN Gulf where Mak is located is usually in early wet season and has similar conditions to the Andaman. Not too bad but not as good as on Samui, Tao and Phangan.
    I'm a weather nerd and prefer to head for the last two islands that time of year.
    Hit travelfish's search function plus good ol' Google and check out really laid back beaches like Phangan's Had Thian/Tien (the east coast one), Had Wai Nam, Than Sadet, Bottle Beach, Coral Beach and Had Mae. These are far nicer than anywhere on Mak - and I do enjoy visiting Mak.
    On Tao, research nice quiet places like Sai Nuan, Gul Jea, Sai Daeng and Ao Leuk.
    There are livelier beaches without being over the top on both islands, but all the above are good for relaxing.

#2 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 04:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Oh yeah, comparative travel times.

It will take you most of the day to travel from Bangkok to Mak.

If you take advantage of overnight sleeper trains to Chumpon or Surathani you can reach Tao/Phangan by mid-morning next day, so wasting less precious beach time. Chumpon is the better option for Tao, both are about equal for Phangan although Chumpon is a shorter train trip. Lomprayah do an oft-praised overnight (and daytime) bus to join their fast catamaran out of Chumpon. Plenty of other buses but Lomprayah delivers direct to the pier about 30km out of Chumpon.

Closest you can fly to Phangan/Tao is Samui, for Mak is Trat.

#3 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 04:56

• EddieWalker

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014

Thanks Tezza,

Good info, I'll dive into some research.

#4 Posted: 4/2/2014 - 18:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Which quiet island in July? ... By petrouschka on 27 Apr 2007 7 2259 29 Apr 2007
Quiet beach for 1 week trip in June ... By worldchaski on 10 May 2009 10 5479 7 May 2010
Looking for a QUIET Thai island for August holiday ... By boosar on 23 Mar 2013 3 1983 25 Mar 2013