Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Flight to catch - how much time to drive from Pai to Chiang Mai?

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

We are driving the Mae Hong Son loop clockwise and spending our last night around Pai . The next morning we will need to get to the Chiang Mai airport no later than 4:30 pm for a flight to Sukhothai. We've never done this drive before and will be taking it slow. Can anyone who has done it give me an idea of how much time to allow?

We'll be driving to Pai from MHS and we're thinking that if we were able to stay somewhere between Pai and Chiang Mai it might make the drive back to CM more relaxing. Does anyone know a nice place?

Thank you for your help

#1 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 02:34

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Driving (car) allow at least 3 hours Pai - Chiang Mai. It's a very twisty and hilly road, then after you turn south on the highway it flattens out but there are a bunch of traffic lights as you approach the city which can amount to significant delays. Considering you have to drop off a rental car(?) and make that flight I wouldn't be leaving Pai any later than 11am, preferably earlier.
    Flight CM-Sukhothai? Didn't know about that.

#2 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 03:38

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Thank you Captain Bob. Much appreciated. Would you happen to know if there are accommodations closer to Chiang Mai than Pai, but not too far of a drive from Mae Hong Son?
    Actually, I meant to say that our flight is from CM to Phitsanoluk, with Kan Air. I wish it was to Sukhothai, but am pretty happy that there is a flight anywhere near Sukhothai.

#3 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 04:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Bangkok air flies to sukhothai.

#4 Posted: 3/2/2014 - 05:28

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

I looked on the Bangkok Air website and couldn't find Chiang Mai to Sukhothai.

#5 Posted: 4/2/2014 - 03:26

• Ante232

Joined Travelfish
    9th February, 2014

You should check out www.nok-air.net, they fly throughout Thailand and on their site you can find cheap flight tickets for Nok Air. The link is
    http://www.nok-air.net

#6 Posted: 9/2/2014 - 10:04

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The only direct flights into Sukhothai are from Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi on Bangkok Airways. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhothai_Airport

I have seen some random accommodation between Pai and Chiang Mai, but sorry I don't have any specific names/links. I've always just done the 130km drive straight through. Get started early and you'll be on time.

#7 Posted: 9/2/2014 - 11:44

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Kan air flies to Phitsanulok which isn't far from Sukhothai. http://www.kanairlines.com/ebooking/

Thanks Ante 232 and Bob. We're in Pai now and about to leave for the drive back to CM.

#8 Posted: 9/2/2014 - 18:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Enough time to catch the ferry in Koh Samui?? ... By marie79 on 4 Oct 2013 2 711 5 Oct 2013