Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand Questions

• JainaSJedi

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2014

Hi,

I'm flying to Bangkok on March 20 and then on to Phuket where I am starting my trip with a liveboard out of Khao Lak. I have a few questions about traveling in Southern Thailand. I plan to work my way north to south visiting Khao Lak, Ko Yao Noi, and Ko Lanta to start.

1) Is there a public bus from Phuket to Khao Lak? Most things I've seen posted refer to taxi service, which is expensive (>$1400 baht).

2) What's a good hostel/guesthouse in Bangkok near either the airport or the skytrain? I arrive in the evening and fly to Phuket in the morning.

3) Best yoga retreat of around 7 days. Has anyone had experience with Island Yoga on Ko Yao Noi? I've seen a few yoga retreats on Ko phanang, but I am wanting to stick to the Andaman side.

4) Where is it best to cross into Malaysia once my 30 day Thai visa exemption runs out? Penang?

5) Best SIM card to get for an iphone 4S? And can guidebooks be readily found in the South?

Thanks for all the help. I'm a bit nervous as I'm a solo female traveler.

#1 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 02:05

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

1 Currency is baht not dollars so it would be 1400 baht. I think there's a bus but sharing a cab is possible.

2 Depends which airport. You do know there are 2?

3 No idea. I wouldnt waste a holiday doing yoga.

4 It's best to fly in and out to get 30 days extra rather than 15. Saves a lot of hassle too.

5 Any major company.

Thailand is full of tourists in the places you are going. No need to be nervous.

#2 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 11:39

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you come from one of the G7 countries you will get 30 days on arrival if you cross into Malaysia and then come back overland, or by water. It used to be 15 but that was changed last November.

You can get to Penang (or back into Thailand from Penang) by ferry if you don't want to go overland or if you don't want to fly. It's a bit expensive, but a nice way to go.

#3 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 12:19

• TabeaS

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2014

Hey ...

How long is your trip? If you are travelling longer I also would recommend to fly in and out to get the 30-days-visa-on-arrival. You can find special offers from air asia, tiger air and a lot of other airlines. Last summer I booked a flight from BKK to Clark (Philippines) for around 20 Dollars. I was planning on staying in Thailand for 2 months, but I couldn't resist when I saw the price ... thank you tiger air ... :D

Oh and if your really go to Ko Lanta I can recommend you Otto's Bungalows. Actually you don't really need references for a acommodation on an island in Thailand ... There are SOO many, and most of them are good. But I like'd Otto's, so why not ... :D

And by the way ... If you really are staying longer ... why do you skip the north? It is really worth a side trip.

Hope I could help ... Tabea ... :)

#4 Posted: 14/2/2014 - 13:01

• JainaSJedi

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2014

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify a few points:

1) I'm flying into and out of Bangkok's main international airport (BKK).

2) I'm from the US so I think I get 30 days if I do a visa run.

3) I need to end up in KL eventually as my flight to Taiwan is out of KL in early May.

4) I'm not planning on going to the north; I was in Thailand 2 years ago and visited the north then. I'm more interested in beach time this trip.

#5 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 02:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Questions about southern Thailand ... By ThorntreeExile on 8 Jan 2013 15 2176 31 Jan 2013
travel questions through southern Thailand ... By melmariet on 30 Dec 2012 7 1910 3 Jan 2013
Southern Vietnam - Questions ... By khloeee on 13 Nov 2007 2 1123 13 Nov 2007