Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

3-4 hrs enough to go into BKK from airport, shop & return?

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Hi Everyone,
    Our plane arrives at BKK from Trat at 2:10pm and I would like to go into Bangkok on the city train, shop for a few gifts and be back to the airport by 5 or 6 pm. Is this doable? I've been bad and haven't bought any gifts for family and will be on Koh Kood where there's no shopping until we leave!
    Also, a related question - can anyone suggest a shop or area where I could find high quality crafts (especially textiles) that is very close to where I could get to conveniently on the city train/sky train?
    Thank you!

#1 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Buy stuff in Trat or Ko Chang.

#2 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 06:39

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

It would be a squeeze but maybe doable if you can get back by 6:00. Assuming your plane is on time, figure you'd get to the Airport Link around 2:45, which would get you to Phaya Thai by around 3:30. Then hop in the skytrain, two stops to Siam, change trains, one stop to National Stadium, enter MBK directly from the BTS station, and buy your silk scarves or whatever. Assume 45 minutes for shopping and 30 minutes of getting lost while trying to find your way back to the BTS station, and you could be back buying your ticket for the skytrain by 4:45, which would get you back to Suvarnabhumi right around 6:00 (the Airport Link is pretty darn slow). Of course, that would leave zero time for anything else, and it can be a big pain finding your way out of MBK once you get into that massive area of endless stalls and identical tile floors. I'd stick to the shops on the 2nd floor near the BTS entrance at Tokyu department store -- those should take care of most of your gift needs. Best of luck if you try it.

#3 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 07:00

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Thank you both for your replies. Sounds like it could be pretty stressful. I may have to be a bad relative and skip the gifts.

#4 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 07:26

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you don't mind spending way more than you might if you were to shop in town, you can get pretty decent quality stuff at the airport.

#5 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 07:39

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Thanks Tilapia. That's what I'm going to do. It's just a couple of gifts that I really would like to get.

#6 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 07:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I rarely buy stuff for other people. Most of the stuff is junk and u cant take it back if faulty. U can buy place mats and coasters which are sold in every market or shirt if know the size but that stuff is in trat or chang.

#7 Posted: 15/2/2014 - 08:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.