Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Island Advice, mid May.

• Ahleckz

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2013

My girlfriend and I are landing in Bangkok on the 7th of May for 5 months. She really wants to go to the beaches first so we'll make our way down to the islands down south. Probably going to fly as it's only 1200bhat to Phuket!

However, I'm not sure where to go. Because of the weather I'm assuming that Koh Samui would have the better weather for splashing in the sea/diving/laying on the beach. But Phi Phi/Phuket seems more interesting. What are we looking for? Diving, snorkeling, beautiful beaches and scenery, good bar scene, good seafood. She could lie on a beach all day but I'd rather do something, or even just sit at a bar talking to folk.

I'd appreciate any help!

#1 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 12:30

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I prefer Krabi.

#2 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 17:19

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

As you say, it is typically less rainy on the Andaman Sea ( Phuket ) side than in the Gulf of Thailand (Samui Island) side, but keep in mind that even during the rainy season, it rarely rains all day long. Instead, it usually builds up and pours for an hour or two in the late afternoon.

Based on what you've said you like to do, it seems like Phuket would be a fine choice for you. There are several good beaches there, the town has quite a bit of variety, and there is a more developed (and therefore more touristy) scene at the beaches.

Samui should also have pretty much the same types of stuff, and you should have no problem finding things to do there.

Since you've got five months, you'll have time to visit a few other places as well. As mentioned above, Krabi is getting a lot of good press lately, and was included in a recent 100 top places to visit in 2014 article. I also like Trang, including both the town and the small island just off the coast. Very different from Phuket and Samui, however, and might not be as developed or exciting as you are looking for - at least at first.

Have a look at the listings and other information on the website and see if a few of the places don't begin to stand out as exactly what you are seeking. Good luck and have fun. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 22:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Avg may rainfall

Samui 160mm
    Phuket 200mm

Anything under 300mm is dry though. May is a hot month.

Sunburn is more of a factor than rain

#4 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 23:45

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Tezza has a super helpful page that outlines the Thai islands. See here.

I'm a huge fan of Koh Lipe. It provides everything that you want, however much less of a bar scene than Phuket of course. Sounds like you might also like Koh Tao in the Gulf.

#5 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 04:15

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

"Diving, snorkeling, beautiful beaches and scenery, good bar scene, good seafood. She could lie on a beach all day but I'd rather do something, or even just sit at a bar talking to folk."

Sounds as though Koh Tao is more your place. Most folks love it.
    Stay away from Samui. Pass through it if you must, but it's a dreadful place, in my opinion.

#6 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 08:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.