Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok, Chang Mai, Koh Lanta and Krabi help please!

• boxerboo

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2014

Hi

Myself and hubby are heading to Thailand for 13 nights on the 26th March. We travelled to Krabi in 2011 but didn't get to do any tours due to the worst floods in over 40 years resulting in 11 days torrential rain on our two week trip:(. So we plan to travel back to Krabi to see everything we missed.

We haven't booked anything but flights to BK so far, am thinking of the following, anyone have any thoughts, good or bad??

Fly from BK to Chang Mai for 3 nights, looking at Shangri La. Want to do a day trip to an elephant sanctuary for definite, visit waterfalls and normal tourist bits.
    Fly from Chang Mai to Krabi, do we stay in Ao Nang or head straight to Koh Lanta? Looking at the Crown Lanta? Thinking four or five nights?
    Stay in Ao Nang for one night ready to get to Krabi airport for flight back to BK.
    BK, 2 or 3 nights at the Bel Aire Princess, stayed here before so happy with this hotel, have done a lot of the sights in BK on our last trip, mainly going to BK to shop!!

Is this too much for a 13 night stay? We were initially thinking of Hua Hin and Koh Lanta and not Chang Mai but have read quite a lot of negative views on Hua Hin.

Many thanks for any help and suggestions, every time I make a decision I end up looking on here or somewhere else and change my mind!

Who would have thought booking a dream holiday, fingers crossed for good weather this time could be so hard!

#1 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 16:09

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

13 days isnt much. Id skip cm. 3 days isnt enough time to explore the north and the city isnt that good imo.

Id do 5-6 nights ao nang for tours and 3-4 nights lanta. Rest in bangkok.

Hua hin is a dive. Right to skip it.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2014 - 18:57

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Although I don't have the knowledge of the likes of Leonard, I have been to Thailand twice and have travelled from BKK to CM.

As apposed to flying to Chiang Mai (if you choose to go) perhaps consider the overnight sleeper train?

I found it fun, the bedding clean and bed comfortable. It took about 11 hours though and they maybe time you don't want to waste.

But it is overnight and you could treat the train sleep as a hotel; all for the pricely sum of about £18 !

#3 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 04:29

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

That price in the last post looks a bit wierd - It is supposed to say Eighteen UK pounds.

#4 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 04:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

They barely have time for cm let alone catching a slow train.

#5 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 08:42

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

I dont agree.
    They need to sleep; 6 or 8 hours?
    18 quid gives them their bed for the night as well as advancing several hundreds of miles north.
    And I found it real fun; nice party atmosphere.

OMG; Leonard Cohan has just come on the radio sing 'so Long Marianne' - Must be an oman. I must be wrong and Leonardcohan1 right.

#6 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 09:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

You can't sleep more than 1 or 2 hours on a noisy train and the next day you feel terrible. Party? That aint sleeping. Fine if you have time but on short trips that's not a time saver when you feel tired after.

#7 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 09:37

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Well I slept for 6 hours after having a bit of partying in bar come restaurant car. I was totally fine next day and I was 59 at the time.
    Was also 2 months into a trip with another 6 or 7 weeks to go.

Bet hey, we are all different; thats what makes the world go around.

#8 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 11:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

These people have 13 nights not 2 months. If you fly at 6pm you can arrive at hotel at 8pm, eat dinner, have a beer and book a tour for the next day. Trains are fine if you are into that but they dont save time and if they are staying in 4-5 star hotels they dont care about saving $30. If you catch a night train and arrive in the morning you lose half the next day so 3 nights would become 2.

Maybe you sleep well cause of age. I've caught night buses and trains and never had a good sleep but I know older people fall asleep a lot easier. 8 hours sleep in a proper bed with shower versus 1-6 hrs of sleep on a train without a shower? It's not a contest really.

#9 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 18:40

• boxerboo

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2014

Thanks Leonard and Buttonbridge. Not sure on the overnight train if I'm honest, I do like my proper bed at night, I don't think I'm cut out for backpacking type travelling through the night. I'm sure it's great and gives you extra time to fit more in but just don't think its for me and hubby.

Leonard we have dropped Chang Mai from our itinerary, I did think we might end up being more tired after the holiday with trying to cram too much in. CM will have to be done on another trip.

Thanks both of you for your input, much appreciated.

#10 Posted: 21/2/2014 - 01:44

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Enjoy. You can do the north next time.

#11 Posted: 21/2/2014 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Chang or Krabi/Lanta area?? ... By dnev101 on 4 Jan 2013 8 3939 6 Jan 2013