Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Traveling on my own at end of year

• John83

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2014

Hello everyone I was hopeing if people could help me. I will be traveling around Thailand on my own at the end of the year and I was wanting help. I want to spend about a month in Thailand. Want to experience culture and enjoy myself to. Was hoping people could give me tips on what route to take? What is better night busses or trains? Also want to spend time with elephants if possible..

Thanks for any help.

John

#1 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 15:02

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Night buses are dangerous. Flights are cheap. Go where ever you want, it's your holiday. If you really want culture then you wouldn't be following some set path.

#2 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 18:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi John,

There's just the single rail line up into the north, so most of your travel will be by bus (night- or day-) or boat (if you do the Tha Ton to Chiang Rai trip.

Elephants, well the flavour of the year it seems is Elephant Nature Park as for more "cultural" activities, trekking is the easiest way to take a look at how other minorities live, so here are two stories that may be of use:

Trekking 101
    Trekking locations outside ChiangMai

As for places to go, personally I reckon Chiang Mai is a must see - both for its temples and food. Mae Hong Son is pretty while Soppong is worth a look for the caves. Pai isn't so much to my taste, but it is a highlight for many first time visitors to Northern Thailand.

Another good temple town is Lampang while in the far northeast, Nan offers some more off the neaten track trekking options.

Hope that helps.

#3 Posted: 20/2/2014 - 19:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.