Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Protests in Bangkok

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Is there anyone on the ground in Bangkok who can give a 'live' update?

We have no 'don't go' advice from UK FCO, just to avoid protest sites.

Personally I am due in BKK this Thursday and plan to stay 2 nights in a hotel on Sukhumvit Rd near Nana station, before moving out of the city.

#1 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 03:45

• Advertisement

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

I work in the CBD and my office is literally a block away from the protest site at Ratchaprasong. The fact that I've been coming to work regularly since this thing kicked off in November should speak volumes about safety in Bangkok, the recent fatalities notwithstanding.

In terms of convenience you're better off using the skytrain. As the Asoke intersection is closed the safest way to reach Suvarnabhumi would be for you to catch the underground at Sukhumvit station and connect to the airport link at Phetchaburi station.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 04:02

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Thanks for that Grubert.

My first time in this part of the city.

So coming in from the airport on the rail link I should get off at Phetchaburi and find the BTS heading south to Sukhumvit station. Looking at the map I guess I can walk from there to my hotel just past Nana station.

Reverse for getting back to the airport ( I am spending a further night in Nana but a different hotel before I fly home).

I see the intersection at Asoke is blocked. Can I still get the BTS from Nana to Ekkamai to catch the bus to Pattaya?

#3 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 01:55

• Grubert

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

The BTS and MRT lines have seen no disruption in their services since the protests began.

An alternative would be for you to take the train from Nana to Phra Khanong or Uudomsuk and hail a cab to the airport.

#4 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 03:12

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Here's our latest update from "the ground" (another one coming tomorrow or the next day - you can find them on the bottom left of the TF homepage or by following the TF Facebook page):

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2014/02/20/bangkok-protest-update-20-february-2014/

This one on where to stay also has loads of comments with regularly updated answers:

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2014/01/14/where-to-stay-in-bangkok-away-from-the-protests/

#5 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 07:21

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

So coming in from the airport on the rail link I should get off at Phetchaburi and find the BTS heading south to Sukhumvit station. Looking at the map I guess I can walk from there to my hotel just past Nana station.

This is incorrect. You should take the Airport Link all the way to Phaya Thai and switch to the BTS (the Bearing train), which will take you straight to Nana. No need for MRT.

I see the intersection at Asoke is blocked. Can I still get the BTS from Nana to Ekkamai to catch the bus to Pattaya?

Should be no problem at all. The BTS/MRT go over/under roads so blocked intersections have no bearing on the trains.

#6 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 07:25

• Grubert

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Ha! I'm afraid I was thinking as a commuter (choosing the shortest route possible) rather than as a traveller with luggage to carry.

#7 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 07:30

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Best to fly onto somewhere else. I like Bangkok but 2 nights isnt enough to do much and with the protests and traffic it's best to not bother leaving the airport and fly north or south.

#8 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 10:40

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

HMM: elsewhere he asks about trains north: now he says here to stay at notorious Nana and then head for Pattaya. Thats not the average bekpekkers this site aims for.

#9 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 02:04

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Captain BKK - 'Not the average backpacker (spelling !) this site aims for !!!!!

Not that it is any of your business, but my itinary is:

BKK for 2 nights
    bus to Pattaya and stay there for 4 nights
    back to BKK for 1 night
    Overnight sleeper to Chaiang Mai
    1 night in chiang Mai
    Fly to Krabi for 4 nights in Ao Nang
    Fly back to BKK and stay for 1 night
    Fly home

I only have 2 weeks.

My stay in Nana is to meet an old friend
    My trip to Pattaya is to visit a friend (a retired gent)

so I am sorry of my travel plans dont fit with 'the average backpacer this site aims for'

#10 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 02:27

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Captain
    You can be a backpacker and chase girls at the same time. The two are not at odds with each other. Each kind of tourist isn't neatly divided into categories.

#11 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 03:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Stay cool. No need to be so defensive.

CM 1 night isnt worth the trouble.

Krabi is good but ko chang might be easier from pattaya.

Good luck

#12 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 03:49

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

I am cool Leonard, just think people should not make assumptions without the facts. Madmac was dead on with his comment.

With regard to CM ect, I just like the actual travelling around experience. I take your points though and I long for the day when I can travel without time restrictions, but still have a full time job.

Thanks for your usual helpful input.

#13 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 05:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

He was joking. A stranger on the net joking about pattaya isnt something to stress over.

#14 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 05:26

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Yes i understand that about Pattaya; my mate lives there. Hopefully he will keep me out of trouble.

#15 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 05:31

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Millions of people go there all the time without any trouble. I wouldn't worry about. I'm sure you're not. CPT BKK is being himself, kind of contrarian. Who cares where in Thailand you want to go? As the Thais say "up to you".

#16 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 06:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey button,

from the threads you've started, you've no doubt noticed that poor spelling is the least obnoxious trait of a particular poster. just ignore him. the language is so bad it is usually difficult to understand anyway, and there is very little value added in any of his posts.

after your trip i'd like to hear how the travel through bangkok went, and if protests or crowds disrupted anything from your point of view. cheers.

#17 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 10:00

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

exacto - Thanks for that. Of course I will post when i get back or while I am there if I can.

Don't know whether you have looked through the 2 threads posted byDLuek; very interesting and informative.

#18 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 12:59

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

#19 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 03:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

IS it just me or was this thread somehow changed? Somehow it looks different, although I can't put my finger on it.

#20 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 06:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Nothing has been deleted post-wise. Or do you mean layout?

#21 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 06:56

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I agree, with Leonard. You are perhaps doing too much.
    Choose between Pattaya and Chaing Mai and do one only. I’ve never been to Pattaya but Chaing Mai is awesome if you like getting out in the wild.
    Or perhaps as suggested earlier - consider not leaving the airport and going straight to Chaing Mai for 3 days, then Pattaya for your 4 then......onwards to Krabi?

I hope you are not expecting to relax too much ;)

The guy casting judgement is out of line. Never feel as though you have to explain yourself to anyone on here.

#22 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 10:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It must be me Stuart. I've been drinking.

#23 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 11:15

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Mad mac. Have one for me as it it silly price at Heathrow.

Stuart. Thanks for suggestions but I have already booked flights and hotels. I kind of like the frantic whistles top tour around, have done it in a number of countries.

I have been to Thailand before but travelled with Intrepid and loved the pace of travel..

Not really planning to relax just see as much as I can..... It's the way I like to do it.

Thanks for your reassuring words on our judgmental friend.

At Heathrow now waiting for my flight to BKK via Muscat..

#24 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 13:11

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Stuart? Where did that come from? Must have just copied Mad mac.

I meant Sparts, but guess that Mac knows your name to be Stuart.

#25 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 13:14

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Madmac was talking to Sontam2000 (=Stuart). Get's confusing sometimes :)

Enjoy yoru trip!

#26 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 18:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Not really planning to relax just see as much as I can..... It's the way I like to do it."

Well you know yourself better than we know you... have a great trip. Let us know how it goes.

#27 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 22:09

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Just to chip in as I have just spent a few days in Bangkok. On Monday, we went to the old city area (Sanam Luang, palace, Wat Arun, Khao San Rd., Giant Swing, Wat Saket), saw no sign of any protest. Buses of tourists. On Tuesday, we went to Siam Paragon area, and there were protesters camping there still, roads were blocked, but the big malls were all open, MBK were especially packed with shoppers.

#28 Posted: 1/3/2014 - 03:05

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

Thanks for sharing your experience, chopin.

According to an announcement by Suthep last night, almost all of the protest sites (at least Asok, Pathumwan, Ratchaprasong and Sala Daeng) will be clear by this Tuesday. They're apparently moving the whole of the demonstrations "inside" Lumpini Park. It's the best news I've heard in a while. But the broader situation is not yet resolved, and protest sites at Government Complex off Chaeng Watthana and Ratchadamnoen Nok near Government House will probably stay put, as these are controlled by groups other than PDRC.

#29 Posted: 1/3/2014 - 08:41

• buttonbridge

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2010

Am staying in hotel on Sukhumvit rd near Nana BTS.

Today I walked to Siam Square. Some encampments along the way and more in town by MBK.

All very well organised and tents in very neat rows.

Lots of tourists around.

No problems.

#30 Posted: 1/3/2014 - 11:47

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So the protestors have achieved zilch. Time wasting tools who cant win an election.

#31 Posted: 1/3/2014 - 23:55

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Watched the move this morning from the Patumwan site to Lumpini.
    Note that there STILL is-and now a lot larger as it used to be, occupied zone around the other end of Ratchdamnern-just a few 100 mtrs away from Khao Sarn. Now has several toppled policevans lying across -as either a sign of victory or traps for anyone trying to clear it-again. This site was tried to clear by those overpaid and overnumbered brown boys and retaken with the help of those magic popcorn boys just after. It mainly hinders traffic a lot around here. Police on special duty-drawn in from as far as the Mekong, get paid 700 bt/day EXTRA and yet one never ever sees them nor can they find any shooters from their side. Here and there are now some extra spots ''for safety'' manned by Thai soldiers. Mostly also doing nothing and keeping out of the sun.
    Anything that puts those Taksin SuperRich and that drooly parrot of his younger sister away is worth the try.

#32 Posted: 2/3/2014 - 02:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok Protests ... By kanda on 11 Jan 2014 13 1691 15 Jan 2014
Bangkok Protests 2010 ... By smellel on 22 Feb 2010 40 14484 25 Mar 2010
Bangkok protests: Crackdown imminent ... By somtam2000 on 19 Apr 2010 0 1254 19 Apr 2010
Protests in Bangkok today (Monday December 9, 2013) ... By somtam2000 on 8 Dec 2013 14 2584 13 Dec 2013