Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

5 Weeks Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam??I

• megwag90

Joined Travelfish
    24th February, 2014
    Location United States

First trip to SE Asia. Is it possible to do Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam is 5 weeks?

#1 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 20:35

• Advertisement

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

You sure can, especially if you take the "if this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium" approach. Nothing wrong with that of course - while it might be difficult to get a feel for a place, let alone explore it thoroughly (but then again getting off the beaten path is not for everyone), you'll at least be compiling a catalogue of places you can pick and choose to revisit later in life.

If I were to visit all three, I'd do a week in Cambodia (probably limiting myself to Siem Reap, Kampot, and Phnom Penh), and a fortnight each in Thailand and Vietnam. Be sure to spend a minimum of two nights in the bigger cities.

#2 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 21:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You need at least 3 nights in cities to see much at all. Can only see 1/10 of a country in 5 weeks if that.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 05:30

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Is it possible? YES
    Would I recomend it? NO

I would suggest you concentrate on one country and explore and relax a bit. On the basis that Bangkok is usually a good location to start and finish then you might consider about a month in Cambodia (or Vietnam) and a week or so in Thailand. Much will depend on what you want to see and do so start with a bit of reading and develop a rough idea

#4 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 06:29

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I would highly recommend 5 weeks in Vietnam. It's a different approach to the majority I'd imagine. However, it would be worth it. Great, diverse country.

Two weeks up North, 10 days in the Centre and 10 days down South.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2014 - 08:12

• Arikara1985

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I just did 5 weeks between Thailand and Cambodia. Spent 10 days in Cambodia rest in Thailand. You'd be able to include Vietnam but you'd be moving around a lot. In the end I think I should have cut Cambodia because I just didn't have enough time to spend in certain places.

#6 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 07:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

China, you're funny. The Vietnamese I know (which is a lot) say don't go. They take a dim view of Vietnamese culture. I'd definitely go with either Cambodia or Thailand over Vietnam. BUT... I do agree, pick one that appeals to you. Is it possible ot hit all three? Sure. Why not add in Laos and Burma and Malaysia too? You could do it. Does it make sense to do it? No. Neither does three.

#7 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 10:30

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Diaspora rarely has nice things to say about the home country. Look at the Cubans in Miami. They never recommend visiting the island either. I've never been to Vietnam, largely because other places appeal to me more and I only have so much time to spend. But other folks on the site here absolutely love Vietnam and go all the time.

So, back to you megwag. Five weeks is a good chunk of time, but there is quite a bit to cover in three countries. Most folks I know would suggest Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in five weeks and save Vietnam for next time. But if Vietnam appeals most, maybe spend three or even five weeks there.

What kind of trip do you want? Are you looking to move around frequently or settle in more? What types of things do you like to do? How is your budget? Best wishes.

#8 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 18:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Thailand gives u 30 days visa free so a sidetrip to laos or cambodia makes sense.

Vietnam seems to get really good reviews and some bad ones. The people i know didnt like it much.

#9 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 18:56

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Another thumbs up for Vietnam. Having only spent three weeks there I have been forever itching to go back (sadly the allure of unvisited destinations has always proven stronger).

#10 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Vietnam has only a 7% return rate. So something about Vietnam, and I suspect it's the Vietnamese, is causing people not to go back. Thailand in contrast has 50% return rate...

#11 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 04:41

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Vietnam has only a 7% return rate. So something about Vietnam, and I suspect it's the Vietnamese, is causing people not to go back. Thailand in contrast has 50% return rate..."

I'm sure there's a few other factors at play here.

- Bangkok is a hub airport for the region, so if people are transiting through BKK to somewhere else then they might have a few days around BKK, which might count for the "50% return rate".

- Some people I know think of Thailand as a resort country, so they would happily come from Europe to spend 11 or 12 days lounging by a pool somewhere in a 4* hotel, and may not leave their compound for the entire time. Whereas Vietnam is more rough and ready in some respects.

- More expats = more family returning to visit them.

Just my two pence worth because I can't imagine Thailand being 7 times more popular than Vietnam.

#12 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 05:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I can see it being 7 times more popular for sure.

1 you dont need visa for thailand
    2 better food
    3 more activities
    4 more resorts
    5 culture is more fun and open

I know people who visit thailand 20 or 30 times. Vietnam just doesnt have that same appeal.

#13 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 08:49

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

1 you dont need visa for thailand

Visa is easily arranged and you will make up for the cost of it with the price of stuff in Vietnam.

2 better food

Highly questionable. Vietnamese food is among the best I've tasted.

3 more activities

A nothing comment.

4 more resorts

Perhaps.

5 culture is more fun and open

I thought you don't like the word culture and think it is one used by stupid tourists trying to make themselves sound hip.

#14 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 08:54

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i think it is true that Thailand appeals more than Vietnam to most, but i also know that light beer is the biggest selling style beer here in the states, so i seriously doubt that more popular necessarily means best. i actually kind of agree with lenny on this one that Vietnam just isn't as appealing - at least personally for me, but my wife and the Kiwi couple we often travel with are really interested in going. it is definitely the road less travelled, making it kinda cool exactly for that reason.

the bigger question is would the OP have time to visit all three places in her five weeks given what she hopes to see and do during that time.

#15 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 10:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I haven't been yet. And the Vietnamese I know I like. BUT, all the Vietnamese I know, including the Vietnamese from Vietnam (salsa dancers - surprise, surprise) say the Vietnamese are assholes. They're aggressive, difficult people. That's not my experience. But that's what they ALL tell me. So yes, I do believe that there is something inherently aggressive in their culture and they don't have as much of that Thai "Mai Pen Rai" thing going on. But I am not speaking from experience there, and I will be the first to admit it.

#16 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 10:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I think it would be "bo pen yang" where you live MAC, but I see your point. That "in your face" style you mention keeps me away from places like India and has been a negative factor of trips to Nepal and even Indonesia. I know folks say the Koreans are fierce, but I didn't find that as true as expected during my brief visit there. The Turks have a reputation of being aggressive, and I thought that at first too, but after being there for an extended time realized that the Turks are exceptionally generous and accommodating to strangers.

Some folks do well in a more aggressive environment. I know one guy who even likes Somalia - or at least aspects of it. It comes down to personal choice. Even if the return rate to Vietnam is only seven percent, I'll be those seven percent really love the place.

Meg, are you still with us? What are your plans? Two weeks in Thailand, a week in Cambodia, and two weeks in Vietnam? Maybe pick just the north or south of Vietnam to make the logistics a bit easier on yourself. Let us know how it goes. Cheers.

#17 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 12:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"but i also know that light beer is the biggest selling style beer here in the states, so i seriously doubt that more popular necessarily means best."

Yes true in part but people drink light beer due to drink driving rules rather than taste. People also eat maccas rather than making their own better burgers cause it saves time. Quality isnt the biggest factor driving purchase.

With a holiday people decide based on quality, price and convenience. Prices are similar in these countries so it comes down to quality and convenience. The China guy is saying getting a visa is no big issue so then it comes down to quality and people are choosing Thailand over Vietnam. If Vietnam was so good you'd have a lot more people going 5,10,20 times which happens with Thailand.

#18 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 21:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"I thought you don't like the word culture and think it is one used by stupid tourists trying to make themselves sound hip."

Culture is what is happening around you, not soley found in some museum or temples which some people think it is.

#19 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 21:07

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Deleted a bunch - (yet again) I ask keep it civil please.

Believe the question was "First trip to SE Asia. Is it possible to do Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam is 5 weeks?"

If you want to discuss the merits of Thailand Vs Vietnam, by all means please start a new thread on that topic.

Tks.

#20 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 22:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

To be fair on this one I thought it was a natural progression, and not some wild wondering.

Megwag, your thoughts?

#21 Posted: 1/3/2014 - 03:44

• Northwig

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2014

I'm the same. First time trip to SEA and going these places. Me and my girlfriend have spent a lot of time researching and planning. It is just personal preference. Some people like to move on regularly rather than stay somewhere they don't like that much. Glad to see different points of view though. I personally think it would be possible but only time will tell.

#22 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 02:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Some people like to move on regularly rather than stay somewhere they don't like that much."

Why you would stay anywhere you didn't like (unless you were visiting friends or something) I don't know. This is why I am not a fan of itineraries with timelines. You get someplace and don't like the vibe, move on. You get some place and are having a great time, hang around, why move on? Move when you're bored and ready to move... It's a vacation. It's suppose to be fun.

#23 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 02:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Exactly ^

Stay 2 weeks in one spot if u r loving it.

#24 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 03:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam in 3 weeks ... By bbluedd on 16 Jul 2013 2 761 16 Jul 2013
5 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By waitrya on 15 Feb 2010 3 3017 20 Feb 2010
Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia in 3 weeks ... By squaretiger on 2 Aug 2012 4 2246 11 Aug 2012
Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand in 6 - 7 weeks ... By LynneVermont on 6 Feb 2011 2 2727 7 Feb 2011
Thailand,cambodia, vietnam in 6 weeks?? ... By macdaisy on 25 Aug 2008 2 3183 25 Aug 2008
Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in 3 weeks? ... By elysek on 22 May 2012 4 1970 23 May 2012
3 weeks Vietnam Cambodia and Thailand ... By Liveley on 25 Dec 2012 3 2076 3 Jan 2013
5 Weeks - (Thailand) - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By nikeshbjani on 28 Jul 2013 17 1420 4 Aug 2013
Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand in 3 weeks ... By jonice08 on 16 May 2013 6 1560 25 May 2013
6/7 weeks in thailand/cambodia & vietnam ... By chivers on 7 Oct 2009 1 2382 8 Oct 2009