Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

trip to thailand for 3 weeks, what to do?

• annavla

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2014

Hi there!
    My trip to Thailand this summer will be my first time traveling all by myself. I am a little anxious about it, but in a good way! I am looking forward to finally going and now I am bussy with planning my trip: where shall I go? what shall I do? and what would i like to see?
    So I did a lot of research and came up with a couple of places I would liketo see. The only question is: will I be able to do all of this in three weeks?
    So the places I would like to go are: Bangkok > Kanchanaburi > Koh Chang > Koh Samui > Koh Lanta > Railay Bay > Krabi and KohTachai.
    What do you guys think? is there something I should skip oradd? And the next thing How will I do this? do you guys havesome suggestions?

This is what I have come up with:
    Bangkok > Kanchanaburi by bus and back.
    Bangkok > Koh Chang by bus and back
    Bangkok > Koh Samui by plain.
    From Koh Samui to > Koh Lanta by bus.
    From Koh lanta to > Railay Bay by bus.
    From Railay bay to > Krabi by bus
    From Krabi to > Koh tachai by bus and boat and finally from Krabi backto Bangkok by plain.
    All tips and feedback are welcome!

Thank you!
    Cheers!
    Anna Vlassova

#1 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 11:43

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

First time here - so I would say Bangkok is a minimum 4 days.

From that point on plan 3 days per destination as rule of thumb. But here's the deal, you don't actually have to decide how long to stay anywhere until you get there. Go to Kanchanaburi and when you're tired of it, leave. I would cut Koh Chang, because it is really out of the way relative to the rest of your trip. Instead I'd fly south to Krabi and then work my way back up... maybe you'll get to Krabi, love it, and simply spend the rest of your trip there. Maybe you'll hate it, and move on afgter a day. If you get to everything on the list, great. If you don't, so what? It all works out that way.

#2 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 12:14

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I know we typically warn people not to plan too much in a short time, but I don't think those warnings are quite as needed here. When I travel by myself, I tend to stay one day less in places than when I travel with friends. Travelling by myself, it is just easier to move around, and I tend to get to all the things I want to do in less time. Plus, the places Anna mentions are generally pretty close together, and she is flying the long distances from BKK to Samui and then from Krabi back to BKK.

I agree though that if you were going to skip something, then Koh Chang would be the best place to skip. It is nice, but it isn't all that different from the other beach places you will visit in southern Thailand, and you will save most of two days travel if you skip Koh Chang. I also agree that the fun part of a trip like this, and particularly travelling by yourself, is that you can go from place to place whenever you wish and not be stuck with a rigid itinerary. Just be sure to book your flights ahead of time and let the rest work itself out as you go. Have a great time. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 18:40

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Maybe you should let the weather play a part? Many parts of Thailand has crappy weather in the summer. Koh Samui (and the neighbor islands) usually gets good weather in the summer, so maybe you will want to spend more time there...

#4 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 16:58

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Quick note.
    Consider taking the train to Kanchanburi, it's a really easy trip. Personally I liked it a lot. It does take a bit of effort to find things to do there, but it can be very relaxing. Hellfire pass and Erawan falls are both worth a trip
    Personaly I really didn't like Samui, so much so that we left 4 days early! Consider one of the other nearby islands, Phangan or Tao. All three of these islands are very different to each other. Samui is very commercial, Phangan less so (but more fun) depending on which part and Tao is just fantastic, especially for diving - though the weather may be an issue (choppy seas = poor diving).

Over and out

#5 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 18:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Well it depends which summer you are talking about.

Thai weather is pretty good for 10 or 11 mths a year.

#6 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 18:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Pha ngan is less fun. Nothing there of interest.

Krabi has more to do.

#7 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 18:50

• annavla

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2014

Thank you So much guys!! I Will go from 27th of June till the 20 of july. So what do you guys think tao instead of phangan? Do you guys have some other advice about a place i definitely should go?

Thanks!!!

#8 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 04:55

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Depends what u like. Tao is a small divers island.

Plenty of things up north too.

#9 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 05:13

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Urgh, I had typed out a lengthy reply but hadn't logged in.
    To summarise:

Phangan, the most wonderful beaches, relaxed atmosphere, full moon party, not so many "activities" other than partying or lazing on a beach - and usual beach stuff.
    Tao, Good diving, good bar scene, less good beaches. I thought it was more expensive than Phangan, but not massively.

Both attract a mixed crowd in terms of age.

It's easy to do both islands and probably worthwhile. The ferry from Samui to Tao stops en route at Phangan.
    I've travelled through those islands at the same time of year. You should have a good choice of accomodation and be able to negotiate a good price (low season - but don't be put off by that as there is still plenty going on). You'll probably be less inclined to head to quieter beaches/areas as it's possible they could be too quiet.
    Move around as the feeling takes you. It's easy. It's also easy to find accomiodation and book online the day before you move on.

#10 Posted: 28/2/2014 - 05:37

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand & Siam Reap - 2 weeks, in 2 weeks! Normal trip plan help + Fine Dining? ... By Ahleckz on 11 Nov 2013 3 1346 13 Nov 2013