Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok ---> Ayuttaya day trip

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Hi All,
    Just putting some final touches to my honeymoon itinerary - I am looking to do a day trip to Ayuttaya and come back to Bangkok by boat.

Am happy to get train (or mini bus) to Ayuttaya myself and then catch a boat back but not sure if this is possible/easy to do?

I've been looking at organised day trips which seem reasonable and there seem to be two main boat companies - black pearl and river sun cruise - can anyone let me know which is the better option?

thanks

#1 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 17:40

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Ive done a tour which makes it easy. No idea what company it was. Didnt think much of ayuthaya. Prefer kanchanaburi

#2 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 17:44

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Sadly I can't be of much help here as I've never taken the boat. Information on Thai-language forums is also non-existent, suggesting that it's mainly geared at foreigners. While I've never travelled upriver beyond Pakkred, I'd imagine the route down from Ayutthaya to be just as scenic.

Although taking the van will be quicker, a train ride from Hualamphong is in itself an experience, and one which will soon disappear if the powers that be actually manage to finish the new central station at Bangsue in time by 2017. You'll encounter a bunch of tuk-tuks in front of the Ayutthaya train station; from what I remember these will charge somewhere in between 500 and 1000 baht for a day-long tour of the sights. But because the ruins that constitute the historical park is easy enough to explore on your own, I'd suggest renting a bike or scooter from shops or guest houses in the Naresuan Road/Chao Phrom Market area.

Be sure to visit the tiny Ayutthaya Historical Study Centre for its jaw-dropping miniature dioramas (my bet is you'll also savour the air-conditioned coolness there).

Of course, a trip to Ayutthaya wouldn't be complete unless you've had some grilled king prawns there. Sadly the best places for these are outside the city proper, though I reckon most will find the riverside restaurants on Uthong good enough.

#3 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 01:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've done the trip (years ago), with my parents. We organised it in Bangkok, got a bus from Bangkok to Ayutthaya, grabbed a couple of temples then Bang Pa-in then the boat back. I can't remember the name of the company -- it was ages ago. The temple bit was quite rushed and I wasn't all that taken with Bang Pa-in.

If you have the time I'd head up to Ayuthaya under your own steam (train is good) and overnight there and get the boat back the next day. That will give you more time to see the temples up there. Grab a bike and ride around. It is a very interesting town.

#4 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just to add, as per Grubert, the eating in Ayutthaya is superb!

#5 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 02:06

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Thanks all :)

#6 Posted: 4/3/2014 - 16:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
deposit a bike in Ayuttaya/Bangkok ... By icelycaon on 27 Apr 2007 1 1450 28 Apr 2007