Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mae Khlang Luang + Northern Loop

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

Has anyone ever visit?
    Looks very beautiful but don't see many people talking about it.
    This is what I found:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com.br/Attraction_Review-g790337-d4830323-Reviews-Mae_Khlang_Luang_Village_stay-Chom_Thong.html#mtreview_176548177
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Mae+Klang+luang
    Looks nice for a night stay.

Does anyone recommend doing a loop in northern thailand by rental car? Will be travelling in late july and I'm worried about safety in the winding wet roads. Also think it might be better a car when it's raining just so I don't get all wet.

#1 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 06:09

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

How do u know the roads will be wet?

Have u never driven in rain before?

The best thing to do in the north is hire a car. Chiang mai is pretty boring and overrun with tourists.

#2 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 08:49

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

Hi Leonard.
    I don't know that. But at that time of year it will be nearly impossible not to encounter rain not a single day.
    Anyway, I'm just worried because heard some people saying it was dangerous so I thought I would get an opinion since I do really want to do that.
    I have driven in rain, but as I've never been there I don't know the condition of the roads compared to my country.
    I'm glad it's OK and that you think it's a good idea. I do wish to do some sort of loop and I saw the ones here on travelfish but I am still deciding the places I want to see the most, wanna give me any tips?

Another question, I heard people saying I would have to leave my passport in the rental place but I don't want to. Is there any way to get around this?
    And I do need to get an international drivers license right?

#3 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 11:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I visit Thailand in july often and most days are sunny. I dont know where u get the rainy everyday from. Bit of a myth.

Thai roads are pretty good. The most dangerous places to drive r the big cities.

U keep yr passport. Only fools give it up. They will just photocopy it.

North wheels is a good car hire place.

Northwheels.com

Internation licence is needed for insurance claim if u crash. Can hire without one but best to be safe. They only cost about 30 dollars

#4 Posted: 6/3/2014 - 19:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Driving another loop in Northern Thailand ... By Dutchgirl on 14 Jun 2014 8 579 17 Jun 2014