Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Jum to PKK

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

What's the simplest, most hassle-free way to get from Koh Jum to Phuket International Airport? I'm flying home from there late Friday night. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 07:56

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Pkk is prachuap khiri khan. Try getting a boat to phi phi and boat again from there. Spend 1 night in phuket.

#2 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 09:29

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Sorry, I meant the airport in Phuket. Surely I can get there from Koh Jum to catch a late-night flight without spending a night on Phuket? The question is what's the simplest way?

#3 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 09:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Dunno. Jum is a quiet island. Ferries go to krabi. Krabi to phuket on a bus takes a few hrs and they would only stop on highway near the airport. Best to overnight in phuket unless u head off early.

Tezza might know. He is the expert on jum.

#4 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 09:41

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um, dunno abt expert but I've been there once or twice on account it's a pretty nice island.

Simplest most hassle free:
    Pick up the Lanta to Krabi town ferry as it goes by and then get the shuttle van from Krabi to Phuket . Last time I caught this van (Aug 13) it actually drove right by Phuket airport (which is abt 3km off the main road) to drop me at Nai Thong. Any of the small travel agents at Krabi pier will be able to arrange for the shuttle to call by - but your own resort on Jum can probably organise the whole thing. Last time I was on the ferry there was a tout arranging onward travel too.

Cheapest:
    Catch the public longtail ferry from the eastern Jum pier across to the mainland at Laem Kraut and then jump on the waiting public songhaew into Krabi. Get off at the bus station and catch the next Phuket bus. It's a long way around Phang Nga Bay to Phuket, particlularly on a frequently stopping bus. Get them to let you off at the turn-off to the airport about 5km south of the security checkpoiint at the north end of Phuket island and hitch a ride (I've been picked up by returning Airport "limo" drivers) or catch a motorcyle taxi across to the airport.

Quickest:
    Catch the passing morning Lanta to Ao Nang ferry. When you buy your ticket from your resort tell them to ask the Green Planet speedboat that leaves the same Ao Nang pier to wait for you - I think times are co-ordinated but last time I caught the speedboat it waited another 10 minutes because the incoming ferry was behind schedule. This speedboat cuts directly across Phang Nga Bay via Ko Yao Noi and Yai to the Bang Rong pier in north-east Phuket. Green Planet has waiting vans (inclusive in the price), one of which will go to the airport. Even quicker would be one of the waiting taxis, but the Phuket taxi mafia guys expect to make their latest payment on the flash Surin Heights pool condo on your one fare alone.

#5 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 23:27

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

"I'm flying home from there late Friday night."

Just saw that bit. Phuket airport aint a great place to hang around for long periods of time. Sure there are eats joint and a bar but it's no Changi.
    Quickest above will get you there a bit after lunch time.
    Simplest most hassle free maybe an hour or more later (depending on bus connections).
    Cheapest probably gives you most flexibility but I'm not sure how many public longtails shuttle across to Laem Kraut. The whole thing will take maybe 5+ hours, once again depending on bus connections.

Here's a thought. If you have a long time before your flight you could get the shuttle van, Green Planet etc to drop you at Nai Yang beach which is abt 2-3km by road from the airport. This is a very nice beach and has a bunch of budget restaurants which set tables up on the sand at night for dining (and have same tables at back of beach for snacks and beers at other times). Lotsa taxis to take you across to the airport - but you will be looking at 300b for this very short ride.

#6 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 23:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Hanging around a beach or restaurant with luggage aint great. Id spend 1 night in a phuket hotel so u can get a massage and relax without the stress.

Phuket isnt a bad place for 1 night.

#7 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 00:10

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Helpful advice all around. Tezza, I love the idea of hanging out at a beach restaurant. (My flight doesn't leave till just after midnight.) Can anyone suggest friendly restaurants (or guesthouses?) at that beach where I might arrange for them to look after my backpacks while I patronize their establishment? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind but have no idea what if anything to offer. Of course I'd keep my money and passport on me. Thanks!

#8 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 01:25

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I often leave my bag in a restaurant on days like this. My experience is that if you buy a beer or a meal from any of them you are their best friend for life.
    The girl who works in the chemist ocean-side about mid business-strip is a sweetheart. Dunno how late the chemist stays open, but all Thai beach businesses don't shut early.
    Nai Yang Beach Resort on the inland side of the road mid-strip has a lockable left-luggage room. This of course is for guests but maybe if you offered to pay they would come to the party. Paying to hang around one of their 3 sweet pools may be a good way to spend some time.
    There is a reasonably big store with marked prices just south of Beach Resort which is an excellent place to buy a few last minute presents for those back home. Plenty of other smaller sellers of similar along the strip.

#9 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 17:52

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Let us know how it went.

#10 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 19:00

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Ditto

#11 Posted: 13/3/2014 - 01:47

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Will do! Thanks so much for your help!

#12 Posted: 13/3/2014 - 01:52

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Wow, this worked perfectly. I took the ferry from Ko Jum to Krabi , then a minibus from Krabi to the airport, all prearranged through my guesthouse. For a small tip I got the minibus driver to take me on from the airport to Nai Yang Beach Resort. There I offered to pay the resort folks to store my luggage for the day. They agreed to take the luggage but adamantly refused to accept any money (!), just said I'd need to take a taxi from the resort to the airport that night. They offered me the use of their pool and showed me where I could shower. Lovely resort and staff. The beach was absolutely beautiful and I ate lunch watching the waves, followed by a swim and a foot massage. As suggested, I bought all my souvenirs cheaply there. Thanks for the great suggestions -- it almost seemed too good to be true! (I did, of course, tip the resort guy who had helped me when I left.)

#13 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 21:05

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

PS Taxi from the resort to the airport was 200 baht

#14 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 21:15

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Thanks for that. Looks like a nice resort.

#15 Posted: 24/3/2014 - 21:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

So glad it worked so well. Thanks for getting back to us.

#16 Posted: 25/3/2014 - 00:00

• KevinCorr

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2004
    Total reviews: 39

Anyone planning to do this should consider flying from Krabi airport. Why would you go all the way to Phuket when you are already near the Krabi airport?

#17 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 16:20

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

Because Korean Airlines, my carrier, doesn't fly from Krabi.

#18 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 16:26

• KevinCorr

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2004
    Total reviews: 39

I am just saying someone planning such a trip would be a lot better off flying from Krabi.

#19 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 17:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Krabi airport is small and many airlines dont fly there.

Flying into Phuket makes sense if u want to see the south. If u fly into bangkok u may have to stay overnight to fly south or change airports which is a hassle.

It all depends on your major international flights and how they match up with domestic connections.

#20 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 19:53

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I flew into Bangkok and out of Phuket at no extra charge. Made my way west and south overland in the course of 4 wks. It worked out great, but I had to shop around in advance for an airline that would let me do it.

#21 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 20:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Good plan. Saves backtracking. Called an open jaw ticket.

#22 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 01:02

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

I've travelled the Andaman, often several times a year, in the past 20 years. Mostly fly into Phuket simply because my budget airline of choice, Jetstar, flies direct Australian to Phuket. Have come in several times from Langkawi in Malaysia, once into Krabi (got a bargain price Aus to Singapore and jumped Silk Air to Krabi. Hell, I don't think Silk Air flies to Krabi these days), never from Bangkok. Sure, if your direct flight comes into Krabi it is the best bet, but not too many direct flights from overseas fly into Krabi. I'm thinking flights from Singapore, KL and some Scando countries. Any others? Otherwise I reckon Phuket is a better base to explore the Andaman.
    If you want to do Jum or Lanta after a direct flight from overseas into Bangkok, Krabi would probably be best. Depends a bit on flight frequency and cost - there are way more flights into Phuket and fiercer discounting. For all other places excepting Krabi itself, I reckon Phuket is superior.

#23 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 03:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

cheap air asia and nok flights into krabi and trang if book early enough

#24 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 06:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.