Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trek with Chiang Dao Nest

• Dorotich

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

We are planning to visit the Chiang Mai region this July. Since we love doing overnight backpacking trips here in Canada, we thought we should see what is available in Thailand. We are considering booking an over-night trek with Chiang Dao Nest and would love to hear from others who have experience with them. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 13:21

• Advertisement

• CaptainScott

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2013

I did an overnight trek to the summit of Doi Chiang Dao with the Nest. The deal was pick-up from Chiang Mai, ascent to summit for sunset that day, overnight camping and summit at sunrise the next day. I was very decadant and booked a private trip for myself - I did actually feel a bit silly with a guide a porter just for me! I think I paid about £120 including the pick up and return. The guides do not speak English but were nice guys and will point out flora and fauna on the way up, and importantly will go at whatever pace you're happy with. The food provided was also top notch and there was lots of it. I requested gluten-free food and there was no problem with that and the guides prepared it well. The weather turned shitty through the night and there was a mega thunderstorm. The tents were pretty cheap and totally inadequate as it turned out, and leaked majorly, resulting in me being pretty soggy by morning. I really wished I was in my mountain tent that I use in Scotland! Because the weather was some poor we didn't go to the peak for sunrise, but the sunset experience from the previous evening was great. Overall it was a really good experience and a fairly hard physical challenge and they really looked after me when I came back. I would maybe ask if they've replaced the cheap supermarket tents though!

#2 Posted: 14/3/2014 - 08:05

• vescovis

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2014

Did this trek in January with my fiance and it was awful! It was overpriced, uninspiring, and boring. We did the 3 day trek (standard one day trek combined with Anek's trek) and never saw the mountains. We would walk 15 minutes and then the guides would start smoking for a half hour while we sat and watched. We didn't start until 10 am each day and we ended at 3 pm. The park looked amazing (online) but this trek never took us through anywhere interesting. All I remember is walking down a steep hill through brush and then lunching in a ravine surrounded by a heaps of spiders. We found this trek recommended on Travelfish and we kept questioning how we had made such a mistake in choosing it with so many good reviews. Luckily it didn't rain for us but we also found the camping gear ripped and dirty. I would not recommend this trek at all!

#3 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 10:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Chiang Dao Nest ... By ano_1 on 16 Sep 2009 2 1678 16 Sep 2009