Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Family of 5 (11,13,&14 yo) looking for accommodations

• Newstarr

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2014

I could use some help with finding affordable lodging for my family this December. I have emailed home rentals and searched online. I'm Still coming up short. I took my family of 6 (I have 1 in college now and is on her own with travels) backpacking around Europe last summer and averaged around $70 per night on lodging. Places let me double up my kids in beds or let them sleep on couches in rental apartments. I'm emailing people in Ko Lanta who have two bedroom homes with 2 king beds and a couch telling me that 5 is too many people and good luck. The max expedia, kayak, agoda, and hotels will let me search for is 4. Booking.com lets me do multiple options but finding room for 5 is next to impossible unless I want to spend over $150 a night. Most are over $200! Even when I drop it down to 4 and figure I will just show up with 5 the prices are over $120. My mom is from Korat and she said that her family would squish 15 people into one room when traveling. Unfortunately due to my mom's health she can't come with us and my Thai is horrible. (I can very clearly tell people to go clean their rooms or to go cook rice. My Thai is around a 3 year olds level.). Is it just the booking sites setting up max occupancy rules or will the places turn us away on arrival if we book a triple and show up with 5? If we don't prebook and try to walk in will we be charged more? Or worse be wasting our time searching for lodging only to be left in the lerch?

Places we will visit:
    Krabi
    Ko Lanta
    Chiang Mai
    Pia and northern loop
    Sukathai

Bangkok - stay with my dad (he's a Sheraton kind of guy and can't help)
    Korat- stay with my mom's family (unless I want to bring 20 people in a large van everywhere with me and pay for everything they can't know I'm there until the end of my trip).

Any ideas would be great. All we require is clean, safe and as affordable as possible. In Ko Lanta the kids would like to be on a swimmable beach.
    I was hoping to do this trip on much less than half the amount of last years 6 weeks with 6 people in 6 countries in Europe.

P.S.- I cut Patong Beach and Phi Phi due to the party scenes, should I add them back in? I want my kids to not judge others and realize how life can push people to all levels of desperation. I also don't want to scar them for life. My poor 12 year old son just kept saying how inappropriate the red light district of Amsterdam was while only looking at the ground as we walked through. :)

#1 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 08:13

• Advertisement

• Newstarr

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2014

I have been looking at two rooms. They sleep 2 each. We are 5. If I show up with 5 for 2 rooms that sleep 4 will anyone care? I will also like to keep my family together in one room if at all possible. Has anyone experienced this?

#2 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 10:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Generally a place will stick an extra bed in if you ask (and there is room). The only places where I think you'd reliably be able to get a room that slept five (other than fancy resorts) are the old Chinese style hotels. These often have two large double beds, and then you could ask them to stick a bed on the floor.

Guesthouses will sometimes have quad rooms, and again you could ask about sticking an extra bed in.

Many of the places listed on Travelfish list their contact details (email and web) I'd suggest contacting places directly (rather than through Agoda directly), tell them what you are after and see what they can do.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 22/3/2014 - 17:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I agree with Somtam. My son was a university student here and he and his friends would find a cheap hotel or guesthouse and all cram in together, sleeping on the floors or wherever there was space. You should be fine for the most part (although the tourist areas might be a bit trickier if it's high season).

"I also don't want to scar them for life. My poor 12 year old son just kept saying how inappropriate the red light district of Amsterdam was while only looking at the ground as we walked through."

Leave him home. This is Amsterdam on steroids. Only kidding. But maybe time for him to learn that sex for sale is a normal part of Thai culture and it can't be evaluated through his current cultural prism (which I assume is Western / US).

#4 Posted: 23/3/2014 - 00:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Tao accommodations for family with young children ... By chaimdan on 19 Apr 2010 2 3243 21 Apr 2010