Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time solo traveler (getting nervous!)

• denisey123

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2014

Hi all,

Im a 23 year old female travelling to bangkok in april alone and have absolutely no plan. I have 5 months to travel thailand, laos, cambodia, vietnam or anywhere else the wind can take me! If anyone could give me some tips on where to stay when I land in Bangkok and the best route to take thereafter it would be much appreciated. I have never been to se asia before so the nerves are kicking in now!

#1 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 15:31

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Where to stay? Depends on budget. See booking.com for ideas.

Where to go? Depends what u like.

No best route.

Buy a guidebook.or read sites like this.

Surely u can do a bit of reading.

Sea gets plenty of tourists and travel.is so easy. No need to worry.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 18:04

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Don't be nervous. Be careful. Be polite. I have travelled mostly solo from when I was in my twenties to now in my fifties. There are so many resources available to you now to research your planning. There are many budget hotels/hostels in SEA. You can book them through an agency such as the one already mentioned, or contact the establishment directly.

I would include Malaysia if I were you. But I'm not.

#3 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 01:10

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

I agree with leonard above you must do some homework and then draw up a rough plan BUT stay flexible. Sort out "must sees" and be prepared to miss out on the final country

The hardest part of your trip will be when you land so sort out and book somewhere to stay if arriving afternoon evening or if in morning head to Khao san Road and find somewhere for the first night and splash out on a taxi from the airport

#4 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 06:50

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

I agree with leonard above you must do some homework and then draw up a rough plan BUT stay flexible. Sort out "must sees" and be prepared to miss out on the final country

The hardest part of your trip will be when you land so sort out and book somewhere to stay if arriving afternoon evening or if in morning head to Khao san Road and find somewhere for the first night and splash out on a taxi from the airport

#5 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 06:50

• Twerto

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

You will be nervous to begin with but after a day or two of acclimatising to the changes such as traffic and sheer heat you will realise that you are just in another place in the world and people are generally the same as home, follow the same rules as you would at home, ie be polite, courteous and avoid random strangers that come up and talk to you. 99% of locals will just be getting on with their day but there is that 1% that are trying to get you to part with you money by trying to sell you something. Simple rule is, if anyone comes up to you avoid them.. I will never forget the time i was stood at a random road crossing in Bangkok waiting to cross and this nice little old lady came up and started general chit chat with me.. amazed at how good her english was the next thing i knew I was in a tuk tuk heading to a tourist agent. thankfully i woke up before entering the tourist agents but i quickly learnt to keep my wits about me.

As to where to go that is very much a personal choice, read up on things that interest you and build a rough itinerary give yourself a week in each place as a guide and then be flexible enough to stay longer or leave early depending on how you feel when you get their. I used Agoda.com for booking hotels the day before moving onto the next place. rarely had to pay more than £20 a night between the two of us and im sure if your not looking for a hotel with pool and aircon every night you will find a lot cheaper than that.

we generally traveled by bus and plane but if you find yourself in a small group then taxi's can become plausible. we got a taxi from Seam Reap to Bangkok ( had to change at the boarder) equivalent as drivign from Manchester to London for £20 each which worked out at £6 more than a bus and you could stop where ever you wanted on the route.

Sorry ended up waffling there, key thing is to just stop catch your breath when you get to a new place and don't be pushed into anything your not comfortable with. the people trying to get to go in their tuk tuk or their tour bus generally stop after the second or third time of being told no.. some can be more persistent but that is all it never got nasty for us anyway.

Cheers fae moi

#6 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 09:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Check out some of the suggested itineraries here to get you started.

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/

#7 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 12:38

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Just chiming in here - some people will want to sell you things. You might even meet someone who wants to take advantage of you. But not everyone you meet wants your money. Some people just want to say hi, practice their English, or find out what your experience is like. So by all means keep your wits about you and trust your instincts, but don't automatically assume everyone you meet is a rotter. There are lots of nice people out there, same as there are at home.

#8 Posted: 28/3/2014 - 15:17

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Generally the more tourists the more you need to be aware but the real SE Asia is a place of friendship and hospitality where the locals will respond positively to any gesture of friendship you may offer.

#9 Posted: 29/3/2014 - 05:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where's best to stay in bangkok for first time solo traveler (hostels where mainly solo backpacke ... By Paddy1888 on 10 Oct 2013 3 4068 12 Oct 2013
Travelling SE Asia Solo (first time traveler) advice please :) ... By chris9393 on 17 Apr 2014 41 2475 25 Apr 2014
Best places to trek in early May? First time solo traveler ... By JMM on 1 Mar 2013 3 1799 22 Apr 2013
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 1365 16 May 2014
Solo First Time Traveler in SEA Feb-June 2013, travel buddies and itinery tips sought! asap ... By SeemaSEA2013 on 11 Feb 2013 3 1435 13 May 2013
Slightly nervous solo 25yr m thailand 2014 ... By Zakpriestley on 10 May 2013 7 2652 18 May 2013
Solo Traveler ... By heavanse on 11 Jan 2012 12 2300 25 Jan 2012
Phongsali - solo traveler ... By brr1980 on 10 Aug 2010 4 3569 10 Oct 2010
Solo Female Traveler ... By DawgsnSaints12 on 24 Jan 2012 2 2515 28 Apr 2013
solo traveler in april... ... By Stefano1985 on 27 Jan 2012 7 1291 31 Jan 2012