Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Tao accommodation

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

I've been looking through the options and am very indecisive.

I'll be staying on Koh Tao from 1-3/1/2008 - during that time my priorities are snorkelling (not diving), general beach lazing, and good (preferably well priced) thai food, but still able to wander freely at night and see whats happening around.

From my reading, it seems very few places have both good beach and snorkelling, and none of the island areas fulfil all these wishes.

Therefore I'm considering staying in Sairee or Maehaad, so that I have a decent beach and general things happening nearby, and taking day trips to Nang Yuan/East coast for snorkelling.

Of other options, I've considered Nang Yuan for good location/snorkellling/beach (problem seeming to be poor food and nothing to do at night), and Thian Ok for good snorkelling/beach (again problem being nowhere to go or nothing much to do at night, and not much choices for food).

Am I overanalysing? Anyone recommend something for me?

#1 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 15:37

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

hi Yun,

It's a tough decision, and perhaps you're overanalysing a bit -- Ko Tao isn't a big island!

You've got some reasonable snorkelling at the top end of Sai Ree and the bottom end of Mae Haad, but in between there's just loads and loads and loads of sand.

The big toss up is how close you want to be to the "action" by that I mean bars, restauarants etc.

If you're not fussed about that then I think Sai Thong is a great choice -- not too pricey, not too shabby, reasonable snorkelling and a bit of sand -- it's a good compromise IMO.

I wouldn't recommend Ko nang Yuan as I just can't abide the mgt of the place.

#2 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 20:15

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not big on going to clubs, but I do like my food and would certainly appreciate a choice of places to eat (Thai) food - which I suppose the main areas of Sai Ree are best.

I don't think any one area on Ko Tao has everything that I'd want in the one spot (I'm fussy aren't I...).

In which case I was thinking of booking accommodation in Sai Ree (or Mae Haad) - then during the day I can take day trips or a tour for better beach and snorkelling (Nang Yuan, Thian Ok), yet come home in the evening to Sai Ree for a good choice of Thai food and the nearby option of night-beach or bar if I felt up to it.

Is this going to be more difficult than I think - to move around like that?

Thanks again.

#3 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 14:02

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

A lot of the Sai Ree accommodation over the NY period is booked - one that I've found available so far is:

Sairee Hut Dive Resort
    - A/C beach bungalow 1500baht
    (2 single beds that I can push together to make a double, 24hr electricity, no tv, no hot water, no fridge)

Does anyone have experience staying here? Does anyone know if I can get a discount on adventure dives or snorkelling trips through here also?

#4 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 21:35

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Yun I would be very interested in your view if you decided to stay at Sairee Hut as we will be there late Feb, and this was one option I had in mind. Keep us informed
    Regards
    Steve

#5 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 06:05

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

2 years ago I stayed at Chalok Baan Kao (J.P. Resort).
    In front of our resort was a good place with local dishes, 7-11. Not so far from Taa Toh lagoon (good for snorkeling).
    So, I can recommend this area.
    http://www.kohtaoonline.com/maps/chalok.htm

#6 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 14:52

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

Might sound like an odd question, but for January 1-3, how important is A/C in booking a place?

I imagine during the daytime while it's hot, you're either on the beaches or at many places the electricity isn't even on - and at night, being beachside the temperature drops cool to 20deg so you don't need A/C then anyway?

#7 Posted: 23/9/2007 - 13:44

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

I visited Koh Tao in the May, hottest month in Thailand. No problem without A/C (my room was with fan only). Breeze from the sea is enough.

#8 Posted: 24/9/2007 - 12:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.