Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

reading thai

• kokodojo

Joined Travelfish
    26th June, 2007

Hey. im going to thailand for a month come this november.

i would like to actually understand how to read the signs and other things when i get there.
    i am learning the language..bits a pieces.

any suggestions on good websites. programs. anything that could help me decifer the written language?

thanks.

#1 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

Kokodjo
    I would recommend starting at http://www.thai-language.com/

Its funny , but as daunting as written Thai looks I found it quite easy to pick up , well compared to understanding the spoken tones that is .

After some incidents in restaurants , I was determined to be able to read a Thai Menu . I bought a book ( sorry cant remember which one ), and I had the Thai Alphabet [?] pretty much stuck in my brain after about two weeks .

Of course , just because I can read it , doesnt mean I understand it , but I get by nowadays , especially with Menus :-)

Chock Dee
    ChangFai

#2 Posted: 7/9/2007 - 22:07

• MJS

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

I'm a big fan of www.learningthai.com and the book Thai for Beginners, by Benjawan Poomsam Becker. The book introduces you to vocabulary, listening, speaking, reading and writing all at the same time. It comes with cd's and there are intermediate and advanced books/cd's as well. The website and book both have come in handy for me! Good luck!

#3 Posted: 8/9/2007 - 01:10

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Thai for beginners (as mentioned above) is a good book. For writing, you should go straight in with learning the Alphabet.

Good luck!

:)

#4 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 15:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.