Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time backpacker

• rossm18

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2014

I am at the very early stages if planing a 3 week trip in thailand in 2015...was wandering if it would be possible to do few days tracking in Chiang Rai, visit Angkor wat (I know it's not in Thailand before any1 corrects me) and would also like to visit a few islands in the south...would this be too much for a 3 week trip, would appreciate any help and what would be the best order to do this in?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 12:22

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

This is easily doable. I would limit myself to one Island, but yes, you can fly to each of these places. With one week in each location, you could even take the shitty ass bus. You have time.

#2 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 12:43

• rossm18

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2014

Thanks...would probably fly some parts of it to save time but would want to experience the shitty buses at some point aswell...would you have any suggestions in what order you would do this or would it not matter much?

Thanks again looking for any help I can get.

Ross

#3 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 13:00

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Buses in Thailand and Cambodia aren't all that shitty for the most part. If I were you, I'd look into flight options between the three just to check prices. In particular, check Air Asia as they are very cheap at times. That might help determine which legs you want to fly (if not all).

I'd do the islands last - it's nice to finish a trip with some relaxing beach time.

#4 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 14:12

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You could save yourself some time and money by skipping the island(s) in the south and going to one of the islands in Cambodia (you're going to be there anyway) or in Trat Province, Thailand, which is close to the Cambodian border and less than a day away from Bangkok.

#5 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 14:21

• rossm18

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2014

Thanks will look into these suggestions.

#6 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 14:26

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Pick islands and beaches close together. Flights r cheap so can skip buses most of the time.

#7 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 16:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Buses in Thailand and Cambodia aren't all that shitty for the most part"

All buses are shitty at all times. Can't believe we got back to this again.

"You could save yourself some time and money by skipping the island(s) in the south and going to one of the islands in Cambodia (you're going to be there anyway) or in Trat Province"

I agree here. From a geograghic point of view it makes a lot of sense. Koh Chang is nice if you are looking for laid back.

#8 Posted: 6/4/2014 - 23:13

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

On the idea of limiting yourself to a single island, I'd say that you could explore a couple islands - so long as they are in the same area, such as the Koh Chang group (with Koh Mak & Koh Wai) which offers a variety of different experiences that can be had with a week of short hops about that don't take away so much as they 'add to' the feeling of holiday for some. I like packing up after 3 nights on one beach and taking a short boat ride to a new location to explore.

If you are going from Chiang Rai area down to Siem Reap and then back over to the islands around Trat I'd recommend a flight from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap. With only 3 weeks you don't want to eat up two days in transit from the north of Thailand over to western Cambodia. You'll be much happier with that time spent with feet on the ground somewhere.

#9 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 01:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

""All buses are shitty at all times. Can't believe we got back to this again.""
    That's your opinion.

"Buses in Thailand and Cambodia aren't all that shitty for the most part"
    That's my opinion. And I suspect the opinion of a majority of travellers on this forum, who tend to be trying to work to some sort of travel budget. And who just might enjoy the idea of a bus ride that allows you to see the scenery as you drive by. I'm all for flying to save long journey's, but sometimes, bus ARE good options. For many of us, at least.

#10 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 10:04

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time Backpacker!!! ... By potta_boro on 3 May 2011 7 3040 4 May 2011
First time solo backpacker in SEA ?? ... By Intrepid82 on 29 Jul 2009 2 4676 29 Jul 2009
First time Backpacker to Laos ... By wengchun on 9 Aug 2011 4 3035 29 Sep 2011
First time backpacker to Cambodia ... By juulie on 13 May 2006 12 3844 1 Jun 2006
First-time backpacker to Cambodia, need some advice! ... By NatetheGreat092 on 9 Sep 2013 52 5381 20 Sep 2013