Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Mountain resort lipe

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Does anyone know if there are some decent restaurants within 500m of this resort? Or is the resort restaurant itself good for food?

How far are the deluxe garden bungalows from the beach and how steep is the walk?

If one.books a snorkelling trip do u have to walk to another part of the island to join.the boat?

Do think 4 nights is enough to see the nearby islands or would u recommend a week stay?

#1 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 20:44

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Google it.

#2 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 04:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Gee thanks Nancy for your usual useless response.

#3 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 04:36

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Mountain is kind of far up there at the northern end of Sunrise Beach... Haven't tried the restaurant but it has nice views over to Ko Adang. It's a big resort (at least by Lipe standards) and while I'm not positive, I would imagine that the deluxe garden bungalow is a fair walk up the hill. To get to most of the restaurants on Walking Street you have to walk down a steep set of concrete stairs then cross through the island's central area, or down a steep set of wooden stairs then walk up the beach for a ways. It's not that far but requires a bit of a hike either way due to the hill. Locals (i.e. foreigners who live on Lipe) told me bad things about Mountain from an environmental standpoint (i.e. irresponsible methods in dealing with sewage, garbage and also a very dated generator), though I can't back it up by personal experience. The resort failed to impress me on the whole; felt it was rather bland, not that most of the others with air-con in that price range are much better (i.e. Andaman, Sita, Varin, Power Beach, Bundhaya, etc.). Air-con is so expensive on Lipe and the resorts that have it are either nothing special or really pricey. The seafront bungalows at Gipsy Resort or any at Castaway are great if you can manage with just a fan.

Most of the snorkeling trips around Lipe are done by longtail, and I'm sure Mountain has its own boat(s). Four nights is good for a snorkeling trip to Adang and maybe Rawi with just enough time to relax, but probably not if you want to hit Tarutao as well. Lipe itself is tiny.

#4 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 05:03

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"Gee thanks Nancy for your usual useless response."

As Putin would say, crimea river.

#5 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 05:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Castaway was another i looked at but reviews said the rooms could get real hot though i noticed the reviews were written in march so if they visited in march being a hotter month explains it.

I will.look.up.that other resort.

#6 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 05:30

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I last called in at Mountain Resort in March 2013 and stayed there a couple of years previously. As said, the views from the restaurant are probably the best on the island. Plus the section of beach a short distance to the right in front of the northern bungalows of Andaman Resort where Andaman Beach (Sunrise Beach) curves around the north east corner of the island is maybe the best on Lipe. I thought there was evidence of a waste-water plume right in front of Mountain Resort and so walked the extra 50 m east.

The resort's restaurant had pretty nice food but at a premium over budget bungalow joints - not over the top but enough to get cheapskates like me looking elsewhere for some meals. When I stayed, Andaman Resort has the closest restaurant - this is a real strung out resort and even though the nearest bungalows are only 50m from Mountain, the restaurant had to be 400m. I wasn't whelmed with the food, service or prices - but that was 3 years ago.
    I noticed last visit that 2 new joints, Susanna and Cozy Cove has sprung up next door adjacent Mountain to the west - these looked budget/flashpacker so maybe the food is similarly priced.
    But what the hell - it is a very pleasant 10 minute walk down Andaman beach to just past the village where you hang a hard right and within 2 minutes are into the vast array of budget eat joints around Walking Street. You may say you don't feel like that first thing before breakfast - but most deals to Mountain Resort include buffet brekka which from memory was pretty good.

I stayed in the cheapest bungalows, dunno if they were called Delux, and they were maybe 40m from the steps down to the beach. The steps are not killers unless you are a totally unfit dude. In that case they are a good thing - stick with them and you will be less totally unfit when you leave.
    Note that the most distant accommodation in the resort is less than 150m from the steps.

Dunno abt the snorkelling trip but if it like all places in LOS I've booked one from, the boat starts from the resort or at least comes and picks you up.

4 nights is plenty for Lipe and to see neighbouring Adang and Rawi. You can't really do Tarutao and Bulon Lae on daytrips - but they are sweet places for a few nights.

#7 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 05:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Thanks tezza. I will.look.up.those others

#8 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 06:06

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Having stayed at 7 different Lip resorts over the years, I've come to the conclusion that it does not matter much WHERE it is located - unless you are on one of the more western beaches of the north coast you are within a reasonable stroll of all the restaurants and bars of the two main beaches Pattaya and Andaman plus the interconnecting Walking Street. And if it is an easy walk to these places it doesn't matter all that much if your particular resort has a good restaurant.
    I reckon it is more a matter of checking the user reviews of joints within your price range and if one sounds good, go for it, irrespective of location.

For instance last trip I stayed a short distance up a side street from Walking Street at a kinda boutique budget joint, Gypsy Rivendale (this is a sister resort to the above-mentioned Gypsy down on Andaman Beach abt which I have heard good things and intend to check out next trip) which didn't have a restaurant. No worries - Walking St 2 minutes, Pattaya Beach 5, Andaman Beach 10.

My favorurite resort is Viewpoint on its 2 little beaches just south of Andaman. I noticed last pass by that the owner had put in 2 nice aircon bungalows just behind the better of his 2 beaches. Sweet. But I have never seen this place on the booking sites.

#9 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 07:29

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

A couple years ago I stayed at the Bundhaya. More high end than what I tend to stay in but was in the middle of a longer trip and felt like a bit more comfort at the time.
    Great rooms - go for the more expensive ones in the front. Restaurant was very good. I was there in high season - at that time the beach was a bit crowded...but a simple walk can alleviate that...
    My 2 cents.

#10 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 12:27

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Re bundhaya the deluxe garden bungalows look really good. Rather stay 30m back from beach. Total beachfronts lack privacy and u pay extra.

#11 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 18:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mountain Resort, Koh Lipe ... By dannyjenkins on 25 Jun 2007 0 2128 25 Jun 2007
Lipe Resort on Koh Lipe-transferring money? ... By egrave on 22 Nov 2006 2 2168 22 Nov 2006
Ko Lipe - Lipe resort ... By patrickwbyrne on 6 Jan 2009 3 3539 27 Feb 2009
Phanom Bencha Mountain Resort-Krabi ... By monkey71 on 22 Mar 2007 0 1886 22 Mar 2007
Koh Lipe Jungle Resort, What's it like? ... By themagicnumber on 26 Aug 2008 2 2902 5 Sep 2008
Forra Diving & Bamboo Resort - Ko Lipe ... By nbee on 2 Feb 2007 2 9152 14 May 2010