Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Going south JUST for dive cert. Advice?

• Maran

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

I'm flying from Auckland to Singapore on May 31 and sleeping at the airport before flying to Bangkok in the morning of June 1. Kind of wish I booked to fly from singapore to krabi now instead of bk because I really want my diving certificate before travelling north and doing the loop around Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. I've always wanted to dive so would want to be able to do so in nam or Cambodia should the opportunity arise. But ko Tao is cheapest I hear and sounds like a good vibe so I am thinking I'll have to hop down for a few days after my initial days in Bangkok, then go back to Bangkok before heading north (will do south Thai islands and maybe Malaysia at end of my 3 month trip).

Is this a good idea to head to ko Tao after 4 days and then back up? What's the best mode of transport for this?

#1 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 07:03

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I don't see why it would be a bad idea. Several ways to go... The Lomprayah bus from Khao San Road / high speed catamaran (all one ticket) is popular and efficient, or you could take a regular bus or train to Chumphon and catch one of the ferries from there. Or you could fly to Chumphon with Nok Air.

#2 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 20:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Flight to chumphon is interesting one. Very small.plane and old run down airport. Nice scenary last 10 mins but i wouldnt want to land in bad weather.

#3 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 00:24

• Maran

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

What's the bus journey like? Comfortable? Long? Price?

#4 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 03:53

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

The Lomprayah bus is comfortable (air-con with toilet on board) and I believe the price is 1,050 total for the bus ride and the boat ticket, which is a pretty good deal if you ask me. Most of the regular buses from Sai Tai Mai (southern) terminal in Bangkok are also reasonably comfy, but I'm not sure on price. It's about a 7 hour bus ride then a bit of waiting for the boat and another hour or so to the island. The one I took left KSR at the crack of dawn and had us on the beach by mid afternoon.

#5 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 09:58

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi Maran,

If your pushed for time,which sounds as if you are you can always go down to Pattaya (1 hour 40 mins by bus from airport ) and do licensce (not the best diving in the world)-but the training sites are shallow and for the large part current free ,with enough marine life to keep you busy. plenty dive centres in Pattaya . many dive centres catering mainly for Russians but there are a few reputable ones

try Dive South East Asia on the corner of central and beach road im not sure if Mat still works there but he is a first class instructor.and will work around your time schedule

to do your open water in Pattaya is not as cheap as Koh Tao mainly because of the 'group size' . in places like KT you can expect up to 35 people on the boat (thats where the cheap price comes in ) so if you want more time and even one -on -one training Pattaya is your best bet
    but if you have plenty of time KT may be your best bet
    safe diving.
    boaby

all thde best safe diving b

#6 Posted: 4/5/2014 - 00:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
I already have my PADI dive cert where should i go to dive? ... By Stancy on 20 Nov 2009 13 5155 19 Jan 2012