Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand island in July/August HELP

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

Hi all

we need some advice regarding Thailand in July/August :)
    We will spend 4 weeks in SE Asia, so far we planned:

- 5 days Siem Rep
    - 6 days in northern Thailand (Mae hong Son loop) + cooking course

The big question comes now:

- where shall we head to spend approx 5 days relaxing/diving on an Island? (for us quitter is better)

We were thinking of Phi Phi because the diving seems better but the weather could be bad there...Otherwise we might consider Ko Tao. Any suggestions?

Which other nice spots shall we see in the lat week? (floating market/death train/BKK/...)
    Many thanks

Andrea

#1 Posted: 8/4/2014 - 13:41

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The weather is so much better in the southern Gulf that time of year, and drier weather is imprortant for diving visibility, so why not Ko Tao? Happens to be dive-central for Thailand, so that is a plus too. Happens to be a pretty nice island into the bargain.

Tao does get busy in July/August but there are some quiet areas. Fortunately just about every resort is affiliated with a dive outfit or can organise one to call in and pick you up each day, so it doesn't matter too much where you locate.
    You don't indicate your budget - if it is budget one of the nicest quiet areas in in the south-west bays - look at travelfish's and others' reports on Gul Jea, Sai Nuan, Cape Jeta Gang. Another quiet budget spot is Hing Wong Bay - no beach but a sweet spot. More upmarket - Mango Bay and Shark Bay. Google Ko Nangyuan Dive Resort - one km off Tao proper, gorgeous beaches, crowded with daytrippers 1030-1400 but serene when they go home. Hey, and you can do your night dive right off the beach.

For your last week: well I'm a fan of Kanchanaburi so I'd suggest the Death Railway and the many other great attractions of town and the hinterland. The Erawan Falls are fabulous.
    But even though I am not a liker of big cities I reckon anyone who goes to Thailand should see Bangkok. Why not a few days in both? They are pretty close - maybe 90 minutes by bus.
    Plenty of people do daytrips of Kanchanaburi out of Bangkok too. I think an organised coach tour is the go (Google should show plenty) - getting there and back on public transport and seeing the sights takes more than one day.

#2 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 06:09

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

Thanks for the feedback :)

Regarding budget: i would say mid range
    Any suggestion on floating market? which city is better to see them?

Andrea

#3 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 07:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Forget floating markets. Touristy crap. Bangkok is the best for food markets. All over the city. Just walk around and eat everything that looks good.

#4 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 10:25

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

Any advise on how to get from Chiang Mai to Ko Tao? Flying in Krabi and then bus + ferry?

#5 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 13:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Is there a direct flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi ?
    I think there is one to Phuket - from Phuket you can fly to Samui on Bangkok Air, grab Lomprayah's free shuttle to the pier and use their fast catamaran to Tao. Cheaper - bus and ferry from Phuket.
    btw Bangkok Air also flies Krabi to Samui.

I reckon it would be as easy to fly Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then grab a flight into Samui. Cheaper would be a sleeper train Bangkok to Chumpon to connect with one of the early ferries to nearby Tao. btw some outfit is now doing flights Bankok to Chumpon - I forget who but Google is yer friend.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 05:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Air asia flies cm to krabi

Not sure about nok.air

Krabi is nice. If sunny just stay there

Weather.is.hit and miss everywhere. Thats life. Mostly sunny.though.

#7 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 05:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Laos 3rd July-6th August Full moon Party - 3rd July ... By lydmac on 30 Jan 2012 8 2107 13 Apr 2012
22f thailand mid july-august ... By gnesa35 on 6 Jun 2011 5 2207 12 Jul 2011
Advice on Thailand in July-August ... By mayak on 30 Apr 2008 5 15621 7 Jan 2013
29/f travel in thailand india july august ... By lunallenagr on 12 Jan 2012 6 1824 26 Jul 2012
Thailand from July 17th til August 16th ... By caseybln on 3 Jul 2011 1 1822 3 Jul 2011
18 m travelling Thailand and Laos, mid july - mid august ... By Dadi on 9 Jun 2011 12 2567 9 Jul 2012
Thailand all over the place June, July,August ... By bdobbs86 on 10 Jun 2010 0 2451 10 Jun 2010
Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam in July and August ... By truesd10 on 7 May 2009 5 7319 12 May 2009
Thailand & Cambodia July/August for a few months, anybody want to join? ... By MiaCoral on 16 Apr 2013 0 1417 16 Apr 2013
Looking for bikers July-August Thailand-Laos-Cambodia ... By AnaU on 22 May 2013 1 699 15 Jul 2013