Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Itinerary that beats all other Itineraries

Posted by bamanugnug on 9/4/2014 at 22:39

Say it five times fast now.

Any and all thoughts/criticisms will be appreciated. But keep in mind I have already booked my flights and these dates are more or less set in stone.

Mainly, would be interested to know in:
(1) Jungle Treks/Camping stuff in Chiang Mai . Anybody have any first-hand experience?
(2) Koh Samui---how easy is it to travel among the islands? Can you do Ang Thong National Marine Park in one day, or does it take 2 days to really experience it?

Saturday, June 28, High Noon
---land in Bangkok. I have almost exactly 48 hours in Bangkok and I plan on partying my nuts off. 48 hours to take in one of the most famous cities in the world that I'll likely never see again.

Monday, June 30
---3:00 PM flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I land around 5:00 PM

Tuesday, July 1
---www.pataraelephantfarm.com/

Wednesday, July 2-July 4---Haven't decided on exactly which yet, but I'm going to do two nights on a jungle trek/camping trip/etc. I'm not even that big of a camper, but I'm kind of doing this as a quasi-'challenge' to myself. 3 days/2 nights in a Jungle in Northern Thailand? **** yes

Friday, July 4---after some R&R, stay in Chiang Mai and paint that mother ******* city Red, White, and Blue

Saturday, July 5---flight to Koh Samui.

July 5-July 9---Koh Samui. Explore islands, go to Ang Thong marine national park, enjoy the beach life and island hop for ~4 days.

July 9---flight to Siem Reap

July 9-July 11---Angkor Wat, and try to experience as much Cambodian culture as I can in 3 days.

July 11---catch a flight from Siem Reap to Seoul, South Korea, spend about 15 hours there, and then go into a coma coming back over the Pacific.

#1 bamanugnug has been a member since 9/4/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 10/4/2014 at 00:58

Hard to only visit thailand once so u will see bangkok again i think.

Apart from that u have a fairly typical touristy plan. Millions of others do the same sort of thing.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by tezza on 10/4/2014 at 04:55

In regards to Ang Thong - it's kinda hard to organise transport so you can stay overnight on the National Park HQ island - so the easiest is to do it on a one day daytrip boat out of Samui. I did it that way and enjoyed the visit: being an island kind of person I would like to do a couple of nights there but I've always considered the logistics too much of a hassle.

And being an island kind of person I can't help you with north Thailand but I notice you have 4 days island hopping after Samui. Hell, hop up to Phangan - that place has a beach for everyone. I could easily spend 4 weeks simply hopping from beach to beach.
But if you want to fit max islands into your time - 2 nights on Phangan and than 2 nights on Tao would work. But not as good as 4 on Phangan.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by DLuek on 10/4/2014 at 20:22 TF writer

I don't know if it's the "itinerary that beats all other itineraries", but it looks like a well thought-out plan that will allow you to see three Thai regions plus Angkor Wat in a short amount of time. I've heard great things about Patara Elephant Farm; nice work seeking out an elephant experience that benefits the animals rather than the typical for-profit elephant trekking. Just don't forget your common sense while partying your nuts off.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,121
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by caseyprich on 11/4/2014 at 00:13

I haven't used them since back in '09, but Pooh Eco Travel is a fantastic outfit out of Chiang Mai. A little more expensive than the usual elephant ride/bamboo raft tour group, but for good reason.

http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by gregmccann1 on 12/4/2014 at 22:49

You're on the well-worn tourist trail and you will sense that. I advise getting off it a bit. Check out this place up north and the adventures they can help arrange: http://cavelodge.com/

#6 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by BAMAnug on 15/4/2014 at 08:37

Thanks for the responses everyone. I definitely realize I'm hitting the high points/touristy areas, but it's my first time to SE Asia, and I also can only take 2 weeks off work. Seemed reasonable for a first time, if everything works out I'll come back later in life.

At this point I'm only looking for a jungle trek in or around Chiang Mai. Cavelodge.com looks awesome, and a little out of the way (which is good), as well as pooh-eccotrekking.com

Any others?

#7 BAMAnug has been a member since 16/2/2014. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.