Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary that beats all other Itineraries

• bamanugnug

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2014

Say it five times fast now.

Any and all thoughts/criticisms will be appreciated. But keep in mind I have already booked my flights and these dates are more or less set in stone.

Mainly, would be interested to know in:
    (1) Jungle Treks/Camping stuff in Chiang Mai . Anybody have any first-hand experience?
    (2) Koh Samui---how easy is it to travel among the islands? Can you do Ang Thong National Marine Park in one day, or does it take 2 days to really experience it?

Saturday, June 28, High Noon
    ---land in Bangkok. I have almost exactly 48 hours in Bangkok and I plan on partying my nuts off. 48 hours to take in one of the most famous cities in the world that I'll likely never see again.

Monday, June 30
    ---3:00 PM flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I land around 5:00 PM

Tuesday, July 1
    ---www.pataraelephantfarm.com/

Wednesday, July 2-July 4---Haven't decided on exactly which yet, but I'm going to do two nights on a jungle trek/camping trip/etc. I'm not even that big of a camper, but I'm kind of doing this as a quasi-'challenge' to myself. 3 days/2 nights in a Jungle in Northern Thailand? **** yes

Friday, July 4---after some R&R, stay in Chiang Mai and paint that mother ******* city Red, White, and Blue

Saturday, July 5---flight to Koh Samui.

July 5-July 9---Koh Samui. Explore islands, go to Ang Thong marine national park, enjoy the beach life and island hop for ~4 days.

July 9---flight to Siem Reap

July 9-July 11---Angkor Wat, and try to experience as much Cambodian culture as I can in 3 days.

July 11---catch a flight from Siem Reap to Seoul, South Korea, spend about 15 hours there, and then go into a coma coming back over the Pacific.

#1 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 22:39

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Hard to only visit thailand once so u will see bangkok again i think.

Apart from that u have a fairly typical touristy plan. Millions of others do the same sort of thing.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 00:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In regards to Ang Thong - it's kinda hard to organise transport so you can stay overnight on the National Park HQ island - so the easiest is to do it on a one day daytrip boat out of Samui. I did it that way and enjoyed the visit: being an island kind of person I would like to do a couple of nights there but I've always considered the logistics too much of a hassle.

And being an island kind of person I can't help you with north Thailand but I notice you have 4 days island hopping after Samui. Hell, hop up to Phangan - that place has a beach for everyone. I could easily spend 4 weeks simply hopping from beach to beach.
    But if you want to fit max islands into your time - 2 nights on Phangan and than 2 nights on Tao would work. But not as good as 4 on Phangan.

#3 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 04:55

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I don't know if it's the "itinerary that beats all other itineraries", but it looks like a well thought-out plan that will allow you to see three Thai regions plus Angkor Wat in a short amount of time. I've heard great things about Patara Elephant Farm; nice work seeking out an elephant experience that benefits the animals rather than the typical for-profit elephant trekking. Just don't forget your common sense while partying your nuts off.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 20:22

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I haven't used them since back in '09, but Pooh Eco Travel is a fantastic outfit out of Chiang Mai. A little more expensive than the usual elephant ride/bamboo raft tour group, but for good reason.

http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/

#5 Posted: 11/4/2014 - 00:13

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

You're on the well-worn tourist trail and you will sense that. I advise getting off it a bit. Check out this place up north and the adventures they can help arrange: http://cavelodge.com/

#6 Posted: 12/4/2014 - 22:49

• BAMAnug

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2014

Thanks for the responses everyone. I definitely realize I'm hitting the high points/touristy areas, but it's my first time to SE Asia, and I also can only take 2 weeks off work. Seemed reasonable for a first time, if everything works out I'll come back later in life.

At this point I'm only looking for a jungle trek in or around Chiang Mai. Cavelodge.com looks awesome, and a little out of the way (which is good), as well as pooh-eccotrekking.com

Any others?

#7 Posted: 15/4/2014 - 08:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.