Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Lanta Sunmoon Bungalow/Sun Moon Bungalows

• percyverance

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2012

Whilst researching for accommodation on Ko Lanta I was concerned to read these reviews for the above guesthouse where I'd been considering staying.
    I thought I'd share them as they make for a terrifying read!
    Has anyone had similar guesthouse experiences in Thailand?

And would anyone be able to recommend an alternative budget place to stay?
    I've two nights booked at the Chan-Cha-Lay, 55 Uttarakit Rd, Krabi - following Travelfish's recommendations for a fan room at the back for 500B a night - then I've a further week...

I'd fancied staying at the Lanta Sunmoon Bungalow as to quote Travelfish it's
    'a great spot just back from the beach, with a good selection of bamboo and concrete bungalows widely spaced throughout a lush garden. A short path follows the fresh stream down to the beach, which is great for swimming and very quiet.'

The last review on Travelfish dated 3rd September, 2011 wasn't encouraging though stating
    'I got the feeling I was put in a house about to be demolished.'

So I checked out recent reviews for Lanta Sunmoon Bungalow or alternatively Sun Moon Bungalows - but with the identical address
    57 Moo 5 Koh Lanta Yai | Klong Jaak, Ko Lanta 81150, Thailand - on TripAdvisor.

The reviewers complain of being charged for breakfasts and taxis, advertised as included.
    But of most concern is the aggressive threatening manner in which they were dealt with by the owner.

I've copied a few quotes -

Stayed April 2014 “PLEASE DONT STAY HERE!!!” 'The worse place I have ever stayed in all my years of travelling. The owner was indeed dishonest, threatening and really tainted my stay not just in Koh Lanta but in Thailand.'
    'Throwing our bags, pushing us forcefully and making threatening promises '

Stayed March 2014 “Get out ASAP run by dishonest psychopaths” 'Owner is dishonest, aggressive and psychotic scumbag...'
    'He threw a punch at my girlfriend and her sister throwing our bags around'
    'We felt helpless as we were surrounded by the owner and roughly 20 other Thai men it felt as if they were some sort of mean gang of thugs.'

Stayed January 2014 “Run - run for your lives!” Worst of all the owner is a dishonest nasty piece of work! 'CONNED - free taxi - a total lie!
    Paying in advance you are promised a free taxi/transfer to the bungalow and back at a time TBA. However the next morning the owner demands 1000bht or he wont take me! Outraged!'

Stayed January 2014 “Extreme score BUT given the last day we had... Was awful treatment :-(” .Within the package we had a free transfer to AND from the resort to the main town of Saladan.... '...the hotel said we had to pay 1000 baht for a taxi ?' 'It was awful very intimidating.... We paid in the end because I was upset and scared I don't know how the rules work'

There's no reviews for 2013 but some from 2012 and I'm wondering if the guesthouse has changed ownership.

There's a part of me that would like to check the Lanta Sunmoon Bungalow/Sun Moon Bungalows out for myself and post my own review but I feel it's more a task for your own intrepid David Luekens!

#1 Posted: 14/4/2014 - 02:19

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Sounds like a dump. There's 100 other places to stay.

#2 Posted: 14/4/2014 - 04:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Lanta - Lanta Paradise Bungalows - really cheap deal for Christmas & New Year! ... By VandM on 16 Dec 2008 0 3668 16 Dec 2008
Who wants a beautiful sunset bungalow on Ko Lanta ... By DodoKriki on 23 Dec 2012 0 1565 23 Dec 2012
Blue sky bungalows Koh Lanta ... By Benny on 21 Feb 2007 0 2168 21 Feb 2007
Cashewnut Tree Bungalows, Kantiang Bay, Ko Lanta ... By Cashewnuttree on 14 Jul 2010 3 3712 16 Jul 2010