Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Border crossing bus/train ticket online reservation

• lillalla

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2014

Hi!

Does anyone know where I could reserve or buy a cheap ticket crossing (any) border out of Thailand and back (any form of transport)? I need to get a double-entry visa (I'm a Croatian citizen so I need a visa), and the embassy insists that I show some proof of leaving Thailand and coming back so they can issue the double-entry visa. I don't need to actually end up using these tickets, so the cheaper the better. Flights are of course an option, but I'd have to spend at least 60 eur, and I'd rather not :) I've looked everywhere for days and I'm totally stuck, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Lana

#1 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 05:58

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Bad news for you-the only feasible way is by air. Now that Hrvatska is in the EU does not it have same rules as f.e. Eestti/Lietuvos etc- get the REAL visa on arrival by paying 1000 THB? But IF yes, thats only for 15 days.
    The very cheapest ticket is always AirAsia- mostly to Pnom Penh, sometimes to Penang or KUL. DO note that ANY airfare out of TH includes the -for now still, but due to be raised soon- 700 THB Airporttax (about 16 eur). AA DOES refunds this if not used, but keeps the paid airfare and keeps 100 THB as fee-so you get-in the end, after a long wait, 600 THB back-credited on your card.
    The only other way I see is ordering a trainticket (to Penang/Butterworth, cost about 1200 THB) and HAVE IT SEND HOME- if not used, you can get 50% back-paid directly in cash-if brought back to issuing office befroe 24 hrs before dep. Read seat61.com for info on how to order. Usually this cost an astronomous extra sum and no garantee you get it in time for that embassy and your visa.
    NOTE that IF airlines want to see tix out they mean airtix (at check in for those not having any visa and wanting the 30-day visa-exempt for trusted western nations-incl. Rossye). There is indeed a rule that embassies/consuls are satisfied with other tickets, as those are the official rulings, but in practice this is simply not possible-EXCEPT if you have some trusted friend who can buy such a thing (f.e. a bus to Laos) via thaiticketmajor and have it send to you in time. BUT then most of these bookings can only be made 15-sometimes 30 days advance. They will not cost that much less as a flight on AA too.
    Here in West_EUR consuls are often more generous in how they see the rules. They also except airbookings much later out of TH as they very well know that most people make trips to Lao-KHmer-VNam etc. and then return to fly out of BKK.
    You -if you are not cheating and sure to visit such countries- simply order now only a 1 entry with your bookings and apply (if needed) your 2nd visa while in a neighbor country.
    Dobre dan a dobre jazd.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 06:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Silly to throw away a return flight. Pick a city u like and fly there.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 06:38

• lillalla

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2014

Uh, that sounds pretty grim. I definitely can't get a visa on arrival, I multiple-checked. I do have a return flight to Bangkok in less than a month, so that shouldn't be a problem. I honestly don't get why the embassy wants me to show a bus/train ticket (they claim it doesn't matter if I use it or not, as they will not note it anywhere, not even the dates of my leaving/returning to Thailand), but I'm in Finland and there's no bargaining with Finns. I did think of getting another visa in Laos/Cambodia, but I don't have too many days and wouldn't be too crazy about wasting one of them standing in a line... Any experiences with the Phnom Penh embassy? Thanks a lot for all the info.

#4 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 06:55

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

How annoying. Some visas laws r just plain sily. Its like they dont want tourists.

#5 Posted: 16/4/2014 - 07:19

• vbeck

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013

If you want to learn what officious Embassy Officials are all about go to the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh.
    Have a Travel Agent there obtain the Visa for you.
    Believe it or not at about the same price

#6 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 05:12

• lillalla

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2014

Just a quick update... I managed to find a bus company that sells tickets from Hat Yai (Thailand) to Penang (Malaysia). I paid 16 eur for a return ticket and can now get my double entry visa much cheaper :)

Here is the link: http://www.busonlineticket.com/

#7 Posted: 24/4/2014 - 01:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train Ticket Reservation ... By Tukee on 14 Jan 2012 9 3225 17 Jul 2012
Train ticket reservation ... By FarangFrank on 28 Jun 2014 4 329 1 Jul 2014
online train ticket booking ... By alex82 on 23 May 2013 6 1780 25 May 2013
Hanoi to Hue train ticket this July. Book it online or get it in Vietnam? ... By chien on 10 Jun 2012 7 3644 12 Jun 2012
Visa and border crossing by train HELP PLEASE!! ... By wardadg on 30 Jan 2010 3 3329 30 Jan 2010
Crossing the border to Malaysia by Train ... By travelbuddies on 5 Oct 2010 1 2473 5 Oct 2010