Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand... How much to bring?

• RowanV

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2014

So here's the story, I'm 23 and live in Ireland, and have just been bitten by the travel bug big time!!! I'm working in an entry level job that pays OK, I'm currently saving for my trip but am not quite so sure as to how much my trip is going to cost me. I'm hoping to travel around south east Asia for a year, then head onto Australia to work for a year. I'm not planning to live like a king and am happy to eat street food, sleep in cheap accommodation... I guess I would be looking to go out every now and then, but not every night or anything. If anyone on here has any information on this I would love to hear from you!

Thanks all :)

#1 Posted: 19/4/2014 - 18:20

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

$15000 to 20000

#2 Posted: 19/4/2014 - 20:13

• Maran

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2014

I'm Irish currently working in new Zealand saving for SEA from may 31 to sept 1. That's three months and I'm aiming to have NZD$2000 a month. Will try have $7000 in total just to be safe. Looking to do activities like diving, have a bit of fun (not drinking everyday though but some days), eat street food, stay in budget accommodation. I figure 2k per month is plenty.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2014 - 22:45

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

At least you tell youre Irish. The prejudice wants it, that they drink about as heavy as Russians. And that will murder any budget.
    As you post this for TH; for bekpek style living and without excessive splurges AND also no excessive drinking, the mostly mentioned daily ration is about 1000 THB/day (=ca. 22/25 eur). Roughly same-same for Lao/Camb/VNam, PLUS the flites, visa etc.And the blatant obviopus; do NOT bring it with you, all these countries have ATMs just like home and your card will work. maybe even Irish banks give interest on the amounts.
    That favoured GUIDEbook, by LP even has daily expenses for several types of people and tell you what you can expect for that. As does some Rough Guide. Start with borrowing an older one from your library.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 06:37

• roro1990

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2013

Hey. I'm the same age as you and also Irish. Went to SE Asia last year and I spent I'd say about 2000baht a day. If you're anything like me, one or two beers when out will invariably turn into 5 or 6 which does add up. Hope ya have a great time anyway I only got 2 months there so one year will be amazing!

#5 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 12:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.