Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Market Selling Buddhist Statues, Bangkok.

• chaytiong

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

dear all,
    i would like to know the market or rather bazaar that sells a wide array of Buddhist statues in Bangkok. it has been aired once in Lonely Planet and it seems to be the place for me to purchase some for my collection. however, i am lost in terms of what the market is called in Bangkok and i am truly grateful if you could provide me that name.
    thanks and regards

#1 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 10:41

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi,

It could be the 'Suam Lum Night Bazzar' (Near lumphini park) or maybe 'chat tu chat weekend market' (can't remeber the correct spelling)

Personally, I would go find a little Thai shop selling this sort of stuff rather than a market with alot of tourism.

Also, Im sure your not aloud to take some religious stuff out of Thailand or something like that. Someone here will have better info on that,

Ant.

#2 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 15:32

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Chatuchak (or Jatujak or Jatuchak or however one would like to spell it) has loads of places where you can get Buddhas. The variety is huge, not only in historical style, but also in size, base material, and price. It's very unlikely that you are going to score a genuine antique (perhaps plundered from a temple ruin somewhere) without forking over a fortune, and even then you will have difficulty getting it out of the country. See below from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs homepage ...

>> Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed. (more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

#3 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 20:06

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey, not all of my post was posted ...

I have never been asked about any Buddhas that I've taken out of the country (except by customs while passing through the US ... looking at my statues as if they were from outer space). It is extremely unlikely that you would, too.

Yes, Chatuchak draws a lot of tourists, and it is geared towards tourists in many areas, but when you are there you will realize that about 80% of the people shopping there are Thai.

#4 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 20:11

• chaytiong

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

dear all,
    thanks for the input and keep the good stuff coming in! i would like to invest in one that projects the image of the first Buddha (The fiery background) for worship purposes in my home. i have this concept whereby every asian country i visit i would purchase a buddha statue, for every statue projects a form of uniqueness about the country.

thanks all and regards

#5 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 15:34

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

There is a replica of the Phra Buddhachinaraj, which is found in Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat (Wat Yai) in Phitsanulok, in Wat Benchamabophit (Marble Temple) on Rama V Road in Bangkok. There are lots of places around the temple selling replicas of this particular Buddha image. Of course, you can always go to Phitsanulok to see the original image and to buy your Buddha.

Plenty of these in Chatuchak, as well.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 20:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.