Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Proof of Onward Travel - 30 Day Visa Exemption

• Caolan

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2014

Hi,

Do you know is a train/bus ticket t a bordering country OK to show as proof of onward travel when entering Thailand under a 30 day VOA and if so, can these be bought online ahead of arrival?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 27/4/2014 - 17:49

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think I would start with what kind of plane ticket you have? If you are flying out of another neighboring country then that might fly (excuse the pun). The Thais almost never ask for your ticket at immigration and would probably accept that you were moving on. It's the western ticket takers on the departure end you have to wrestle with. See Thailand is not a pedantically rules based society, whereas the western countries are. So that is more likely your challenge. I doubt anyone here can give you a definitive answer to that question. Buying a ticket when not in country is probably a problem too, but you can try seat 61 and see what info there is on that subject there.

#2 Posted: 27/4/2014 - 23:14

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

State from WHERE you fly in. Its mostly the even more pedantic OZ and NZ that always ask to see tickets OUT if no visa etc is held- and they ONLY accpet AIRitx out as well.There are numerous same-same Qs on this forum-just scroll down.

#3 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 06:41

• Caolan

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2014

Hi Sorry I will be flying in from Ireland

#4 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 08:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And flying out from where?

#5 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 08:41

• Caolan

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2014

I don't intend to fly out, I will be travelling by land. My question was does a train or bus ticket out of the country qualify if the airline I am flying into Thailland with question why I only have a single ticket?

#6 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 08:47

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I don't intend to fly out, I will be travelling by land."

You're going to travel back to Ireland by land? holy cow.

"My question was does a train or bus ticket out of the country qualify if the airline I am flying into Thailland with question why I only have a single ticket?"

I don't think anyone here can definitively answer that. I think you need to check with the Thai consulate and then get a letter from them approving your passage based on your intent and perhaps with your demonstrated presentation of said ticket - which is why I said check seat 61 to see what's possible from overseas.

#7 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 09:30

• colinstray

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2014

We arrived BKK in June 2009 and showed an airline ticket SIN to CNS. That was OK then
    BTW to get to SIN from Thailand we travelled by train and as I thought that travelling this way meant I didn't need the tear-off portion of my entry visa, I threw it away. BIG mistake. We (me, not my wife) held up the train at the Malay border for nearly 30 minutes while they phoned back to BKK to get the visa number.
    This time we arrive BKK end of May with one way flight to Burma ($116 each) just in case they want proof of departure

#8 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 11:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I agree with Madmac, there is no definitive answer to this question, and many of us have been trying to answer it for years. Talk to 50 people who went to Thailand and I think you'll get as many different answers. It usually comes down to the airline, their official policy, and how rigourously it's enforced, plus if the check-in person you get on the day is in a good mood, etc. The "official" line is to get a 30-day visa-exempt entry you need proof of air travel out within those 30 days. However, when you arrive to Thailand no one gives a toss, most significantly Thai Immigration. Airline on departure to Thailand is the potential sticking point. My impression thus far is it's not usually enforced leaving the UK and Europe as opposed to NZ/OZ/US where it usually is enforced. I've flown to Thailand from Heathrow, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt, no worries, but also from Auckland, Brisbane, and Seattle where they demanded the "proof". To eliminate any doubt, either get a tourist visa in advance from your nearest Thai embassy/consulate or buy a cheap onward air ticket and print out the confirmation (e.g. Air Asia to KL or Phnom Penh). They might(?) be persuaded with a train or bus ticket, but getting this in-hand before the trip is not easy. Thailand is not up with the times in this respect. There used to be an online booking site for State Railway of Thailand, but it was shut down last year. For buses tickets you could try http://www.thaiticketmajor.com or http://www.busonlineticket.com if you don't mind entering your credit card details into a Thai website (I sure as hell wouldn't). Or just wing it based on the prospect that they won't ask. Good luck!

#9 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 11:41

• Caolan

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2014

Apologies I hope to be travelling onwards in South East Asia by land. Sorry for the confusion. I think everything wrote above answers my question.

Thanks

#10 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 15:06

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Better to fly. Air Asia has cheap flights which you can use and not lose money. A lot of border towns are boring and long bus trips overland are more prone to scams with touts hanging around border towns.
    Common sense says fly and saves a lot of hassle.
    (But backpackers are a stubborn lot and slow learners)

#11 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 18:46

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

From what I have seen on this topic before it is usually the airline that gives you grief not customs. Best is to book a round trip(much cheaper usually) and then they likely won't ask questions even if it is over the 30 days. You could check with the airline you are flying with as well to see what their policy is.

I talked to a guy that got screwed around but he was able to find a company to buy a ticket from that he could get almost a full refund from later when he decided to cancel it. Something to think about if you do end up getting screwed around.

#12 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 19:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Return airfares are always much cheaper with full service airlines. Silly to buy 1 way tickets with them. You could then buy a ticket with Air Asia to Cambodia or Laos and then travel back overland to Thailand if you really want to do that.

#13 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 19:26

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Yeah it was much cheaper for me to fly round trip to/from Bangkok and to fly air asia from Hanoi back to Bangkok instead of buying 2 one way tickets.

#14 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption - Proof Of Onward Travel ... By ljp on 7 Jul 2014 1 1350 7 Jul 2014
Thai exit proof - land,sea or air?? Tourist visa exemption - 30 days! ... By lauraandmark on 16 Sep 2008 7 5407 17 Sep 2008
Proof of Onward Travel ... By JustinC474 on 26 Sep 2012 2 1917 27 Sep 2012
No proof of onward travel! ... By sparkey66 on 23 Jun 2012 4 2423 25 Jun 2012
Proof of onward travel ... By Drew84 on 19 Feb 2013 22 8962 26 Feb 2013
Proof of onward travel ... By jordyr88 on 13 Nov 2010 3 4632 27 Jun 2011
Proof of onward travel required? ... By gottagetaway on 10 May 2011 3 3301 12 May 2011
Singapore Onward Travel Proof ... By mooball on 29 Apr 2011 9 7372 14 Jul 2014
e ticket as proof of onward travel? ... By ee104 on 28 Oct 2008 1 4331 29 Oct 2008
Proof of onward travel on Air Asia? ... By JulietteR on 17 Feb 2012 5 2206 16 Jul 2014