Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

best place for one year visa

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

Hi all,

what is the best (least hassle) place to obtain one year Thai visa ? is it Savahanaket or Vientiene ?

thanking in advance
    boaby

#1 Posted: 29/4/2014 - 07:15

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There's more than one kind of "one year visa", and they are awarded on the basis of marriage to a Thai national, retirement age 50+, job offer with licensed company, enrollment in an accredited institution (study), and in some cases "volunteering" with a valid organisation who can prove they need you. I got mine in Vientiane and it was just as easy as getting a tourist visa, but of course I had all the required supporting documents. Also note that initially you get a 90-day entry then you can extend a year. See the link for what is required:
    http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check

#2 Posted: 29/4/2014 - 08:30

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I'd definitely go Savannakhet over Vientiane unless you want to hang around the Lao capital... The folks in Vientiane "misplaced" some documents sent from the Bangkok foreign ministry supporting the Non-imm 1-year visa I got last January... It finally turned up, but only after I'd been forced to spend Christmas and New Years alone in Vientiane. Regardless Vientiane usually has a much longer queue. Savannakhet usually has no more than a 15-minute wait - been there twice and both times were easier than any of the other embassies (or consulates) I've hit so far.

#3 Posted: 29/4/2014 - 08:56

• boaby

Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011

hi

Thanks for info will let you know how i got on.
    boaby

#4 Posted: 3/5/2014 - 06:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.