Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Help with initial itinerary

• foxiebex

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

Hi,
    I am trying to put together an itinerary for a month in Thailand. I have travelled a little in Thailand before but this will be my first time solo. I have put together a rough idea of what I would like to do but it's just not quite coming together.
    The first part of the trip is governed by two factors. I am meeting with a friend on Phi Phi and or Krabi on around the 14th December and I would like to be at the Full Moon party on Ko Pha-ngan on Christmas day (insert full moon comments here!). At present I seem to be spending a lot of time in Bangkok and travelling too much at the end of the journey but I'm not sure if any of the places at the end of the trip warrant more than one or two nights stay.
    Also I am struggling to work out how best to travel from Ko Pha-ngan to Chiang Mai .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    • Arrive Bangkok 11th December
    • Fly to Krabi 14th December
    • 3 Nights Krabi
    • 17th December travel to Phi Phi
    • 3 Nights Phi Phi
    • 20th December travel to Ko Samui
    • 3 Nights Koh samui
    • 23rd December travel to Koh Phangan
    • 5 nights Koh Phangan
    • 28th December travel to Chiang Mai
    • 5 Nights in Chiang Mai
    • 2nd Jan travel to Lopburi
    • 1 night Lopburi
    • 3rd Jan travel to Ayutthaya
    • 1 night Ayutthaya
    • 4th Jan travel to Kanchanaburi
    • 2 Nights Kanchanaburi
    • 6th Jan travel to Bangkok
    • Fly Home 10th January
    Thank you in advance :)

#1 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 10:08

• Advertisement

• foxiebex

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013

Thanks for your input LeonardCohe-n1.
    I actually spent a month in Thailand last year and visiting Trang, Koh Mook, Koh Ngai and other much less touristic areas. As I am travelling alone I am looking for forward to being in areas that are busier this time around. As for Lopburi, I want to visit the Monkeys, is this so terrible?

I was really after some advice as to the logistics of what I was trying to achieve.

#2 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 10:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Samui and KPN get a lot of rain from oct to xmas. Apart from Lopburi (not sure why you'd bother) you are going to all the typical touristy places. Around xmas time all these places will be tourist hell holes. CM and all the mainstream beaches will be so crowded with tourists it will be like an ant colony. At that time of year I'd head completely off the tourist trail.
    If you want to see the real Thailand go to places like Ubon, Khon Kaen, Loei, Phayao, Prachuap etc.
    Those places you listed will be like a Disneyland experience with all the tourists tripping over each other going from one sight to another.

#3 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 10:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Lopburi, I want to visit the Monkeys, is this so terrible? "
    Well no but 1 night and most people say it's not worth it.
    Hat Yai has direct flights to Chiang Mai. Samui flights to Bangkok and then CM are expensive. You can boat to surat and then fly Bangkok and then cm. Or you could visit Prachuap and Kanch and skip CM.

#4 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 10:54

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Foxiebex,

>At present I seem to be spending a lot of time in Bangkok and travelling too much at the end of the journey but I'm not sure if any of the places at the end of the trip warrant more than one or two nights stay.

I'd say Lop Buri can be covered in one night (it's a pretty small town). Ayutthaya you could easily expand into a couple of nights (assuming you like history/temples, and I assume you do or else why would you go there?).

In terms of getting from Pha Ngan to CM, Leonard's right - the only real way I see to do it is ferry to either Samui or Surat Thani, then fly with a connection in Bangkok. Flying from Surat is much cheaper but is a longer ferry to the mainland, which leads me neatly into the main issue here: you may well have to spend a night in either Surat or Samui so you can get a morning flight, as the ones later in the day get you into Bangkok too late to catch one up to Chiang Mai (at least according to skyscanner.net).

Good luck, and have fun.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 17:19

• Doctore

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2014

Hello there,

Myself and a friend are travelling south east asia for 3months starting off June in Bangkok, we plan to see Thailand Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma. We're both 21 like the party scene but also keen on seeing quite a lot. If anyone could help with a good plan/route it will be very helpful. The main things to do in each country etc.

Thanks.

#6 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 18:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Start your own topic then.
    There are no main things to see. Just go exploring.

#7 Posted: 30/4/2014 - 19:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.