Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Thai Drinks

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I was trying to figure out what the best Thai Coctails are? And of course the ones to stay away from! Any thoughts. I love the fruity girly coctails, of hawaii and the mexico!

#1 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

MaeKhong-Coke ?

:-)

#2 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 03:12

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Beer Lao is the best option in the area if you can get it, and worth a trip to Laos if you are already in the area. :) My wife enjoyed mixing beer and sprite during our trip as a light and refreshing drink. I can't think of any Thai-specific cocktails, but most bars will give whatever you'd like an honest effort. While it isn't the Long Bar at Raffles, I've had a few good Singapore Slings in Thailand as well. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 04:14

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

MaiTai - served in pineapple :)
    Not Thai drink, but very nice ;)

#4 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 20:29

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Mixed fruit shake (banana, pineapple, coconut ... NO MILK!!!) with a glug of Sangsom or Sang Thip from the bottle sitting in your pack.

Lime juice (with a bit of salt) with a splash of vodka (again, from the bottle in your pack).

Avoid Mekong + Red Bull (or M-150) unless you enjoy high sugar drinks that taste like boozy medicine, and raging hangovers.

Most Thai beers are crap, but some are relatively passable with some ice and a squeeze of lime.

Rice whiskey (lao) from an old motor oil container with a rag stopper in the top ... a good way to finish off a day of rice-planting (or to start a day of rice-planting), but definitely not the sort of thing you'll want to indulge heavily in. NOT a girly drink. If you get into this stuff, make sure your bed is not far away and that you have a clear path to it.

#5 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 20:48

• donmichelle

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2007

"Most Thai beers are crap, but some are relatively passable with some ice and a squeeze of lime."

Are you joking Tilapia? Chang Beer would be the finest beer available in all of Asia.
    A squeeze of lime in that stuff is simply wrong.

#6 Posted: 18/9/2007 - 08:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i'm going to have to agree with tilapia on this one that thai beers are nothing to write home about, particularly with Beer Lao capturing the hearts and minds of the majority of Travelfish beer drinkers. but there is a beer for every taste, and i admit that Beer Chang is very popular with many of my friends. it doesn't hurt that you can get heaps of the stuff quite cheap. plus, it has improved a lot since it first came out. the first one i ever drank nearly put me in the hospital with a hangover!

and, i tend to squeeze a bit of lime into my thai beers too, drinking them ice cold and often popping an aspirin along with the first sip. i love thailand!

in any case, we had a fun thread on SEA beers several months back at this link:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/213_What-s-the-best-beer-in-southeast-Asia-/0

cheers!

#7 Posted: 18/9/2007 - 11:54

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hey exacto

As aspirin thins the blood, does this mean you get shit-faced more quickly or are you a wuss trying to avoid a hangover? Please explain!!

In good humour

Marian

#8 Posted: 18/9/2007 - 16:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Marian,

I've thought this over carefully and the answer is b) a wuss trying to avoid a hangover. :-) In my defense, it wasn't the volume so much as the impurities in the beer I'd try to defend against. Plus, I would typically only do this on a night that I anticipated might be open-ended, such as when friends were visiting from overseas.

My other tip with Thai beer, is to either share a large bottle with friends (to save money) or to go ahead and pay extra for the small bottle. Otherwise, on a typically steamy Thai night, the beer will quickly get warm and become significantly less enjoyable to drink.

As Tilapia notes, the Thai-style way to handle this problem is to drink the beer over ice. Don't knock it. It keeps the beer cold, smooths out the flavor, and helps you keep your head in the game longer. Just another tip from a wuss like me trying to make the most of each and every opportunity. Cheers!

#9 Posted: 18/9/2007 - 23:59

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Donmichelle ...

"Are you joking Tilapia? Chang Beer would be the finest beer available in all of Asia. A squeeze of lime in that stuff is simply wrong."

I wish I was joking, and I admit I got a bit of a silent chuckle thinking of Chang as one of the finest beers in all of Asia. Thais do so many things right when it comes to gastronomy, but alcohol is not one of them. I find all of their whiskey, beer, and rum to be of very poor quality. This, however, does not stop me from drinking them. The lime and ice were things that my Thai family and friends got me onto (thankfully), and it gives me a bit of vitamin C to boot. Despite the low quality, I still enjoy knocking a few back over the course of a day.

Angkor, Lao, Myanmar beers, as well as almost everything from Malaysia, to me, are all vastly superior to any Thai gut-rot. Like Exacto says, an aspirin with the first sip is good advice because rarely is the first sip the last, and Thai beer hangovers are particularly nasty. Always good to have some Alka-Seltzer on hand, as well, when getting into "a session".

Singha is available here in Canada now. Frankly, I'm baffled.

Anyway, time for a beer.

Cheers
    M. Tilapia

#10 Posted: 23/9/2007 - 04:34

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Getting back to the original thread I agree that most beach bars etc can make what you like to some extent.We always enjoyed a gin@tonic to watch the sunset before dinner.As for beers this is obviously a personal preference so here goes,Love Tigers if you can get this down south.Love Beer Lao up north in between have always enjoyed a an ice cold singha with food or without.Always travel with a stubbie holder as any true aussie does,that way beer is always fresh and cold.As for lime wedges or lemon in beer pleease!!enjoy your lagers

#11 Posted: 24/9/2007 - 12:57

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Thai drinks???? I wish I could remember them!! lol. :)

Seriously tho, I do like a bottle of Sang Som now and again (most nights)

#12 Posted: 30/9/2007 - 16:08

• wolfman

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

hands off chang,mekhong,lao khao-this stuff can killyou,watch the old farts at nana,patpong e.t.c. the slightly better shinga or sonhg thip stuff makes you sick as well. if it has to be beer-lao beer is the choice. if it comes to liquor-stick to decent booze as proper whiskey f.e. is easily available in thailand

#13 Posted: 1/10/2007 - 14:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.