Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Buses

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

I was wondering about the bus situation in Southern Thailand? Is there a site or does anyone have any info on bus schedules. I plan on going from BKK to Chumpon via bus or train... what is better and then take the overnight ferry to Ko Tao (hopefully it doesnt rain on me). What is quicker? Bus or Train? Also anyone know about Ko Tarutao? Accomidations or is it better to just do a day trip?

Thanks a million
    Kirstin

#1 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 00:48

• Advertisement

• ChangFai

Click here to learn more about ChangFai
    Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2007
    Location Thailand

In my experience , Bus is always a lot quicker , bt is it safer , is the question ?

#2 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 00:53

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

The bus should be okay for a trip from BKK to Chumphon, but I'd recommend taking the overnight train for any trip farther south than that. The buses for Chumphon depart from the southern bus terminal (sai tai mai) in Thonburi, not too far from the Khao San Road area. As ChangFai says, the bus tends to be quicker, but the train is more comfortable, usually safer, and is the far more scenic choice for window surfing.

I've never taken the overnight ferry to Ko Tao, but the one I took to Samui and Phangan were comfy and a fun adventure.

I haven't been to Tarutao and would be interested to hear what you discover there. Regards.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 05:43

• naomi1971

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2007

hi,

if you want to go to Ko Tao,you can buy a ticket and take a bus from Khao San Road. Two years ago I bought the ticket about 450 baht for bus and ferry to Ko Tao at there. That was so cheap, really cheap!!

At that trip t took the bus from Khao San Road at 21 o'clock, and arrived the ferry of Chumpon at 5 o'clock. I must wait the ferry to start at 7 o'clock. There are 2 kind of boats: fast boat need 1.30 hour, and slowly boat need 3 hour.

Well, after reading this information i think you can know by yourself...what you should do,'a day trip' is enough??

Regards.
    naomi

PS. There are many agecies around Khao San Road that you can buy the ticket. And maybe... you also can ask the ticket for going to Ko Tarutao.

Ko Tarutao is the National Park at Satun province.

#4 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 04:10

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

Agree about overnight train (sleeping place) + boat.
    You will depart from Bangkok at about 7:00 p.m. and arrive to Koh Tao at about 11:00 a.m.

#5 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 14:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.