Thailand forum

6 weeks in Thailand: seeking advice

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

Hi everyone!
    Just booked my ticket: I am traveling to Thailand with my girlfriend, arriving in BKK on the 28th of August and leaving on the 14th of October.

We have been invited to a wedding in Koh Samui on the 5th of September, so we plan to stay a few days in BKK and travel to Koh Samui for the event before exploring the rest of the country. As we will be coinciding with the end of the wet season, our idea (as suggested in a previous post) is to travel northwards from Koh Samui.

This is as far as we have planned, though we want to cross into Cambodia for about 10 days to see Angkor Wat, Battambang and/ or Phnom Penh.

But here is where we seek your advice:
    + My girlfriend is a wedding photographer, and will be covering my friend's wedding. She's going to be carrying a lot of equipment. What should we do? Get insurence I guess is the obvious answer, but should we ship back home (with DHL, UPS or the like) the surplus after the event? Does anybody have any experience in this? I don't want to be carrying over 10kg of equipment for the rest of the trip, and worrying about it.

+ We plan to be in Koh Samui by the 3rd. If we travel there by land, what stop should we do along the way? I think that 3 days in BKK should be more than enough to see what there is to see and get myself a suit on the way.

+ From Koh Samui, we plan to travel northwards. May be fly from Surat Thani to Chiang Mai. I would like to treek in Pang Mapha. And from there travel southwards to Phayao and Sukhotai & Ayuthaya before flying to cambodia for about 10 days before returing home. How does this sound? Too much?

+ I have read a previous post about this but nevertheless: since our inward and outward are 6 weeks apart (we are flying from London with BA) should we just get a visa extension or would a flight booked to Cambodia in the middle of the trip be enough?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!
    Ben

#1 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 12:04

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Prachuap is a good stop along the way. I dont know about packaging prices. 10kgs isnt much and u could take some great shots with it. I would keep it and just have insurance for whole trip. They have basic insurance and then add extras. Having the pro gear for temples would be good.

#2 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 19:37

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

I'd argue that the bare minimum to stay in Bangkok is three nights rather than two, but hey, it's your trip.

I've only ever used DHL for documents and small packages, and have always found them to be reliable. Next-day delivery to the southern counties is the norm, unless you're posting stuff on a Friday or Saturday (though I must emphasise that these have all been lightweight packages).

#3 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 22:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I wouldnt buy a suit there. Cheap suits are cheap suits. Better to buy a decent one back home when a sale.is.on.

For cambodia buy the.plane ticket.in advance so.u dont.need a thai visa.

#4 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 03:50

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

Fantastic! Thanks Leonard and Grubert for your help.

It now turns out that my girldfriend has a wedding on the 30th of August back home, so she's going to have to postpone her departure for a few days. I don't want to know how much it's going to be to change the dates of the flights!! :-/ So I'm thinking to hang around BKK from the 28th till she arrives 5 days later. This suits me fine since I really want to explore BKK.

"I wouldnt buy a suit there. Cheap suits are cheap suits. Better to buy a decent one back home when a sale.is.on."
    The thing is that I already have a suit but I dont want to carry it with me for 6 weeks. I'd rather get a cheap one done and give it to someone aftwerwards.

"10kgs isnt much and u could take some great shots with it. I would keep it and just have insurance for whole trip. They have basic insurance and then add extras. Having the pro gear for temples would be good."
    I guess 10kg is not much split into two but 2 DSLR, 4 lens, cables, charges etc is a hassel. I'll check the insurence but i fear that if we ship it back home I might regret it, like you say.

#5 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 05:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Normally.in thailand.people wear traditoonal thai clothing for weddings rather than suits. Way too hot for suits

Bkk.is a cool city to explore. As a single.bloke walking around u will get lots of offers though. Some.better than others.

#6 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 06:33

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

It's not a Thai wedding (though I wish it was!).
    I was at a wedding in Cartagena de Indias some years ago and I had a Guayabera made, very confortable and elegant at the same time, but then everyone was wearing one. In this case, I think I might stand out too much was I to wear the local dress protocol. But I'll enquire the groom about it.

As for the offers, I guess that is why my gf wasn't too happy to hear that I don't plan to change my ticket too, and will go ahead of her, alone. ;-)

#7 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 07:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

But westerners go there for a thai style wedding. Some just wear tropical beach attire. Seems odd to have people wearing suits for a wedding.on a tropical island. Are the couple boring.people?

#8 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 07:57

• esseestperc-
    ipi

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2014
    Location Spain

LOL!
    Well, you could say that. May be they are into torture!
    It's the groom's second wedding. His first was in Italy, at what must have been the only church in Italy not to be insulated from the heat! By the first sermon, the wedding party was sweating like pigs! So, may be this will be "Thailand redoux"!

In any case, whatever I'll wear, I won't bring it from home.

#9 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 10:39

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Im thinking the 3rd will be at Machu Picchu.

#10 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 19:12

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1653 9 Aug 2012
Vietnam / Thailand itinerary - seeking advice from experienced travellers ... By prankmonkey on 9 Feb 2010 4 2290 12 Feb 2010
Seeking Advice on Myanmar Itinerary ... By valerie1213 on 10 Apr 2012 4 2282 16 Apr 2012
Seeking Advice: 6 month itinerary ... By Msalkinder on 13 Jun 2012 4 3273 7 Aug 2012