Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Islands for Snorkeling

• Surefolly

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2014

I'm planning a 3 week trip for my family to Thailand - approximately Feb. 6 - 27. My wife and I went to Koh Tao in 2003 and LOVED it - hands down the best snorkeling experience we've ever had. This trip we are bringing our boys (ages 11 and 8 at time of travel) and are thinking about going back to KohTao, but are also interesting and seeing some islands we've not been to before. What other islands in Thailand compare to Koh Tao when it comes to snorkeling? We've heard good things about Koh Kut and Koh Mak. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 15/5/2014 - 14:33

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I've never been to Ko Kut; the snorkeling on Ko Maak is decent (Ko Wai also good) but doesn't compare to Ko Tao, at least based on what I saw. I'd highly recommend Ko Surin, which is a small national park island on the Andaman side that takes a bit of effort to reach but is absolutely stunning. You can camp in tents or stay in a bungalow, and longtail boats driven by the local Moken people ("sea gypsies") can take you around to some amazing snorkeling sites. The Similans are comparable but get a lot more crowded with day trippers. You also might check out the Ang Thong Marine Park islands.

#2 Posted: 15/5/2014 - 20:49

• charlottem92

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014
    Location Belgium

Koh Phangan has beautiful places to snorkel. Contrary to popular belief -it's actually a quiet little island (when full moon party isn't in full swing of course!).

#3 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 07:58

• Meerlinse

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2014

I would recommend the islands in the Andaman Sea - Koh Similan, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai & Koh Surin. Beautiful islands with white beaches and good underwater conditions ... especially at Koh Surin!!

Of course Koh Similan is crowded with day trippers but check out Andaman Snorkel Discovery ... they offer a great trip which combines all the islands in one 4d/3n liveaboard tour (for snorkelers only). They avoid the crowds and show you islands and underwater world off the beaten tracks.

#4 Posted: 22/5/2014 - 01:45

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014

Hi - I spent 14 days in Koh Lipe last year, where the snorkeling was incredible. I haven't been to Ko Surin, or the Similans, but I definitely can say that the snorkeling that I did on Lipe and in the surrounding islands was much better than anything I saw on Phangan and Tao. There are plenty of reasonably priced tours you can take, or you can explore the reefs right off shore, which are impressive. Enjoy!

#5 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 01:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hmmm... is comtam3000 the latest, updated version of somtam2000? Or a counterfeit...?

#6 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 07:47

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014

comtam3000 is simply a lighthearted mockery of somtam's username :) Came to me today on my motorbike while riding through Saigon and reflecting on the delicious com tam thit kho I had just inhaled for lunch!

#7 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 08:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Islands - snorkeling in December - any advice ... By Surefolly on 4 Aug 2014 0 250 4 Aug 2014
Best islands for snorkeling, beaches and general relaxing without too many crowds???? ... By nagmerrie on 2 Oct 2012 5 2970 7 Oct 2012