Thailand forum

Itinerary suggestions 4 weeks

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

Hi all

I need some suggestion on my upcoming trip, here some details:

- arriving in bkk on 11 july
    - fly to siem rep on the 12th july and stay until 18th then fly to Chiang Mai (we plan to rent a bike to visit the temples, anything else worth seeing?)
    - 5 days mae hon son loop by bike
    - cooking class in chiang mai

At this point we still have 2 weeks before our flight back to Europe from Bkk

What itinerary would you suggest?

- going into Laos and spend 2 weeks there
    - heading south into thailand (depending on political situation)
    - any other advise is welcome

What we like/want to see:

- we dont like to rush too much
    - we would like to see the coutryside (maybe rent a bike to cycle around a bit)
    - we like taking pictures
    - we want to get in touch with locals
    - we try to avoid overly touristic places

Many thanks for your suggestions
    Best

Andre

#1 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 08:06

• Advertisement

• charlottem92

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014
    Location Belgium

I'd recommend going to South-Thailand for some beachtime! Just catch a plane to Surat thani (800-1200 baht, 1.5 hour flight) and catch the ferry to Koh Phangan. Spend a couple of days on Koh Phangan: beachbumming, snorkelling, yoga, partying. Head over to Ko Tao for some diving. From Ko Tao hop on the ferry to Chumpon and take the bus back to Bangkok (combo tickets are sold on the island for about 1000 baht). Hang out in Bangkok for a bit since it's such an amazing city! There's so much more to do than touristy Khao San Road! Spend a day shopping in one of the many malls (platinum, siam, mbk), check out Chinatown, visit Wat Pho or Wat Arun, stroll around Lumpini Park. Then take a minibus to Kanchanaburi (200 baht) and go swim in the Erawan Waterfalls or spend a day in Elephant World Sanctuary (a non-profit refugee for abused elephants). Kanchanaburi is kind of like the 'countryside' of Thailand. It's not a touristy place at all -on the contrary, it's a very popular daytrip destination for Thai locals. Catch the train to Ayutthaya (1 hour and 50-200 baht) and take a day to see the beautiful ruins. From Ayutthaya, you can take the train back to Bangkok (cheap and takes an hour or two/three max)

have fun!

#2 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 08:31

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions!

This was one of the first solution we thought about when planning but we are a bit afriad that it will be overly turistic, on top of that the recent news from thailand is not helping in planning

Any very nice rice field to be seen? Maybe by bike
    Andrea

#3 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 09:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You don't need to plan. Wait until you've done what you have planned out above and then decide. I wouldn't sweat the political situation. It will likely work itself out.

As for rice fields? They're everywhere. They all look pretty much alike.

If you really want to avoid tourist areas, I recommend Issan. It's almost tourist free.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 10:06

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Kanchanaburi is very touristy. While Erawan waterfalls are nice they are usually very busy with visitors.

Catch a flight to Nakhon Si Thammarat. You wont see many tourists there. Lots of beaches and waterfalls there.

#5 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 10:17

• charlottem92

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014
    Location Belgium

Yeah, sure. You should avoid the main attractions (like Death Railway) during the weekends. Although in my experience, most tourists there are Thai tourists (especially during the low season). Kanchanaburi is nothing compared to 'touristy' places like Siem Reap. Just visit the erawan falls early in the morning. Isaan is very beautiful, but if you don't want overly rustic (like you said), I don't think it's for you. As for the ricefields: Thailand is the second largest exporter of rice in the world, which means there are pretty much ricefields wherever you look. However, don't imagine lush rice terraces like you can find in Bali. I wouldn't mind the recent news about Thailand too much (follow Richard Barrow on twitter for daily updates of the situation in Bangkok). If the situation gets out of hand, just cut your time in Bangkok and South-Thailand short (or skip it all together) and spend a bit longer in Cambodia (maybe visit Phnom Penh, Koh Rong, Kep?). Enjoy your trip! Charlotte.

#6 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 10:36

• Esusino

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2013

What about PhiPhi in the end of July? Too much rain as described?

#7 Posted: 3/7/2014 - 15:15

• Mark84

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2014

Pranburi is one of the lesser known spots. Not many tourists, but surprisingly really nice beaches and a completely different experience than you will get if you go to typical tourist areas. There are a few nice resorts around there as well. I personally loved it. It's not far as well from bkk, less than a 3 hr drive (near hua hin town). If you have time to spare definitely check out Pranburi. I spent about a week there with my partner at aleenta resort, it was incredible. More like a secret getaway destination, very nice. It's more of an area for really relaxing though, not the crazy nightlife partying zone. There's also beautiful national park near there which I would also recommend and the town is perfect for cycling. We rented bikes from the resort and went on a day excursion with picnic. It was super!

#8 Posted: 4/8/2014 - 22:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5-6 weeks in Vietnam - itinerary suggestions? ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 9 Oct 2012 3 2654 2 Nov 2012
Itinerary suggestions- 10 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By Iwanttogetaway on 17 Apr 2011 11 5803 20 Apr 2011
3 Weeks Indonesia August / September, help with itinerary / travel suggestions... ... By nochnbier on 19 Apr 2013 4 3702 28 Jun 2013