Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

THINGS TO DO AROUND CHIANG MAI

• charlottem92

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2014
    Location Belgium

Hi there :)

I visited Chiang Mai for more than a week last summer and didn't really 'feel' this place. It was one of those places people just couldn't stop praising. It quickly became the one place I couldn't wait to explore during my trip around Thailand. Things turned out a little different and I can't help but wrinkle my nose now at the mere thought of Chiang Mai. I'm returning to SEA this summer and I can't persuade my travelbuddy to skip Chiang Mai. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see around Chiang Mai area (Chiang Rai, Pai, Mae Rim, Mae Hong Song)? We plan on staying at least four nights, but can easily extend our stay.

I don't want to do overly 'touristy' things (so no tiger temple, doi suthep, elephant rides or hill tribes). I read a lot of good things about Elephant Nature Park, so that's one thing I really want to do. Any eco-friendly places/organisations to do a jungletrek with?

Thank you.
    Charlotte

#1 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 11:22

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Pooh Eco Trekking, a great outfit. http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/index.html

#2 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 21:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Charlotte, you might consider having your travelbuddy go to Chiang Mai and you head somewhere else that appeals to you more. You guys aren't handcuffed together (at least I hope not) and there's nothing wrong with splitting for a while and linking up again latter at some pre-determined point. Just food for thought.

#3 Posted: 21/5/2014 - 22:16

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Charlotte, I cannot recommend the Mai Hong Son loop enough, really beautiful, and quite an antidote to the banana pancake circus. We recently published a blog about the place: Mae Hong Son loop, Vagabond Tribune

#4 Posted: 11/6/2014 - 04:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.