Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

cautionary tale regarding organised tours

• steveandles-
    ley

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 14

Whilst in Bangkok we booked an organised one day tour to the river Khwae through our hotel. Whilst on the way there a few of us in the bus were concerned about the speed at which the driver was driving, but said nothing. On the way back during a very heavy monsoon storm, the driver was racing along the very wet road. He braked to avoid a vehicle in front, lost control, the bus skidded 180 degrees and then rolled onto the central grassy area. Luckily it was stopped fron rolling to much by a tree stump, but it did land side door down, preventing anyone from getting out. Everyone in the bus needed some hospital treatment. Luckily my wife and I managed to climb ot of the vehicle through the skye light, I suffered a cut ear and bruised chest, my wife suffered cuts and bruises. Other passengers were no so lucky suffering complicated broken bones etc., I believe some are still in hospital.

We were treated very poorly by the tour operators. It took me a whole day to find out who they where, as the hotel contracted to one company who then contracted to another (same old South East Asia story)

When I eventualy contacted the company I was offered my money back or a free trip !!!!!!.

At the moment I am out of pocket for over 100 quid.
    The tour company paid for the initial medical treatment at an A and E, but my wife and I had to get another medical checkup in Bangkok to make sure we were fit to fly. This we had had to pay for ourselves.

Please if you book an organised tour make sure it is with a big recognised company, and if the driver is driving too fast tell him !!

This nearly ruined our world trip, and definitely ruined holidays for all of the passengers on the bus.

#1 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 18:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your experience, but glad to hear you're all in one piece. If you could post the name of the hotel and operator, so others have an idea of who to avoid, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 18:32

• steveandles-
    ley

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 14

Hi Somtam

The name of the hotel was Erawan House, The hotel was actually very nice, and we could find no fault with it or the staff,they said that they had met you ?

We booked the trip through Erawan Travel, a desk in the hotel. The name on the bus was JAB tour, but they were actually contracted be Sawadee tours. Some of the other people on the tour booked with T.A.T. and others booked through their respective hotels.

One of the things I forgot to mention was that the bus had no seatbelts. Had they been fitted (and worn)The passengers on the otherside of the isle would have not been thrown sideways when the bus rolled over, and most probably would not have broken any bones. I think everyone on the right hand side of the bus broke something, everyone who was no the left hand side suffered similar injuries to Lesley and I, as the did not have as far to fall. Oh The driver had a seat belt !!!!!!!!

#3 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 21:17

• namaste970

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2005

Visa ?

Is it possible to get a visa on arrival anywhere in Vietnam without doing the paperwork in advance? How quickly can you get one in Bangkok? I will be there from Friday through Monday.
    Also, what about visas to India? Can I get that in Bangkok through a travel agent and how long will it take?
    Is there anywhere else I can easily get a visa for either of these countries when I'm in Asia?
    Thanks for any help.

Sharon

#4 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 06:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Organised tours ... By sweetandcream on 7 Feb 2010 1 2865 7 Feb 2010
Independent travel or organised tours ... By Intrepid82 on 27 Jul 2009 9 3022 4 Aug 2009