Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Three weeks in July. Help a first time visitor?

• shua73

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2014

My wife and I are leaving the kids behind for three weeks and taking a very late honeymoon in July.

We have a few things booked in the North (some relaxing after wrapping up teaching for the year). Some trekking, some elephant watching - you know how it goes.

Where I'm stuck is planning for the south. The Andaman seems a little wet, and Samui seems a little crowded. We'd love a place to eat great food and enjoy nice beaches. We'd love to experience something totally different than the Canadian west coast.

Ideas for 10 or so days in Southern Thailand?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 30/5/2014 - 23:06

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My wife likes Koh Samet a lot, but she's Thai and a lot of Travelfishers are looking for something different. have you looked into Trat / Koh Chang?

#2 Posted: 31/5/2014 - 10:09

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Food is not a problem in Thailand but well worth checking out the weather maps like this one:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/ko_samet/averages/

They will give to an idea about how much rain but remember it often comes in a short sharp burst in the afternoon and the rest of the day is very nice

The big question may be do you want to stay in a town like Trat and head to the beaches during the day or be on an island

#3 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 05:38

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The Samui side will be crowded at that time of the year. It's one of the drier areas during July, and a lot of European vacationers will be heading there for the summer holidays. But it still won't be as crowded as it is around Christmastime and New Year.

Why not look into Koh Pha-ngan? Or Koh Tao? Neither are anything like BC. Nor is anywhere else in Thailand that I can think of.

Since that is one of the drier parts of the country, perhaps consider spending a few days traveling along the coast between Bangkok and Surat Thani? There are a handful of great towns and beach areas that are close, or on the train line? Chumphon, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Bang Saphan, or even Kanchanaburi and Sangkhlaburi a little further inland and NW of Bangkok?

#4 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 06:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
first time gay visitor ... By adventure87 on 24 Jun 2011 10 2762 30 May 2013
First Time Visitor Flying in on the 3rd of December ... By tulles22 on 28 Nov 2007 2 1205 28 Nov 2007
First Time Visitor - advice needed ... By Sweetdee on 31 Aug 2011 4 1627 7 Sep 2011
SE Asia - 8 Week Itinerary (First Time Visitor) ... By travelingalpaca on 3 Apr 2013 1 1514 3 Apr 2013