Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Tao to Bangkok via land

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

I've read the Bangkok to Koh Samui/PN/Tao guide, as I am planning a trip in the other direction (Koh Tao to Bangkok).

My question is regarding buses - the guide says do not take any private buses from Khao San road. However if I am in the opposite direction, how will I know which buses are safe and which are not?

Can anyone recommend any safe options to leave Koh Tao in the afternoon with an overnight bus/train to Bangkok?

#1 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 14:56

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yun -- you just have to read it backwards!

Unfortunately the only way to dodge the private buses is to go to Chumphon bus station and pick up a govt bus from there. They leave regularly and unless you're travelling in super-peak season you shouldn't have a problem.

If you opt for train, just book a through thing from Ko Tao -- trains don't have the same problem the private buses suffer from.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 15:00

• Yun

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2007

Thanks Somtam. I read the guide backwards, but the area on buses (other than the warnings) tells me to where to book from in BKK, not Koh Tao - so I was hoping to avoid a problem going the other way.

For example, Lomprayah seems respectable in terms of ferries, but I suppose their buses are just as unsafe as the other private ones?

Is the best option to do it independently and just to turn up at Chumphon bus/train station and take whatever sleeper is available? (rather than booking a combined ferry/bus or ferry/train ticket online)

#3 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 15:20

• naomi1971

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2007

well, for me i took the bus from Khao San raod. it is ok, cheap, big and clean bus, and comfortable. Only the private bus stop at a restaurant on the way, that i don't like and hate it. Because it's very very dirty.

But if you like to go other way, maybe you can read this website. I hope it will help you.

http://www.thai-tour.com/eng/suratthani/kohtao_travel.html

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

Enjoy...

#4 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 20:15

• MJS

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

I'm not sure you'll find a seat available if you just show up at the train station! I've booked a combined bus/train/boat ticket from bangkok to koh samui and koh tao a couple of times. And a combined boat/bus/train ticket from koh tao/koh samui to bangkok. I think it's a bit cheaper than buying seperate tickets and you don't have to worry about making the connection in time or getting lost.
    I remember travelling with Songserm. No complaints about this company.

#5 Posted: 15/9/2007 - 19:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Lomprayah is fine for a through ticket. By private companies I mean travel agents running their own buses - these are the problematic ones. Songserm likewise, as MJS says, no complaints.

#6 Posted: 16/9/2007 - 09:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.