Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand - Two weeks - Itinerary help!

• caroquette

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2014

Good evening everyone,

I'm travelling with my boyfriend to SEA for one month. I'm staying in Thailand for two weeks (more or less from August 4th to 19th).

I know it's short in time, but can someone help me with my itinerary?

I thought about going to Chiang Mai and Ko Phangan...

Any other places you think are best?

Thank you so much for your help,

Best Regards,

Carolina Miranda

#1 Posted: 2/6/2014 - 22:45

• Advertisement

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Best depends on interests. Those places would not make my top 5 places to visit.

#2 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 06:34

• Ianrose2

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2014

Hi Carolina,

The trip that I did in Thailand started in Bangkok (3days) -- Internal Flight to Chiang Mai (3days) -- Internal Flight to Phuket (3 days) -- Internal Flight to Koh Samui, Speedboat to Koh Phangan (3 days) -- Speedboat to Koh Samui (1 Day) -- Internal Flight to Bangkok (1 day) -- Home.

Bangkok - Bangkok Loft Inn (Good value @ approx £30 a night with a free airport transfer with 3 nights)
    Chiang Mai - Rimping Village Hotel (Very nice hotel and village)
    Phuket - Ayara Hilltops (Nice but expensive)
    Koh Phangan - Santhiya resort & spa (Very Nice but expensive)
    Koh Samui - Smile House (Reasonable & cheap)
    Bangkok - Sivatel (Very Nice but expensive)

Bangkok was ok for a few days but is very seedy and seemed like everyone was out to rip you off. When you use taxi's always ask to be on the meter otherwise they are ripping you off. When we visited the temples, someone outside told us that it was closed and offered us a tuk tuk for 10 Thai Baht to go on a tour, don't do it as they will take you to loads of souvenir shops so that they get fuel vouchers and pressure you into buying things. As soon as we walked away, we realised that the temple was actually open and the guy was lying to us.

We mainly just explored bangkok. The night markets are ok but the Chatatchuk weekend market is the best as it is massive. We did a Thai cookery class called Chef Leez cookery class which was really good if you are struggling for things to do. Look on trip advisor and it has good reviews.

Chiang Mai was one of the best places we visited. Lovely town with good markets. Patara Elephant farm is amazing if you want to spend a day with elephants. Lots of info on their website so just google it. Also the Tiger Kingdom was good there as well. The hotel we stayed in was Very nice as well, would highly recommend.

Phuket, Just look out for the Taxi Mafia and pretty much the same things mentioned for Bangkok. If you go to the islands, they are supposed to be very nice but we didn't end up going.

Koh Phangan, We missed the full moon parties so can't comment on that. The hotel we stayed at was about £200 a night but was very, very nice. Pure luxury! So if your happy to spend a bit on something nice, that's the place to do it. Good place to chill out.

Koh Samui we wished we had stayed a few more days as the area around the hotel was very nice with lots of restaurants, nice markets and a nice beach.

Hope this helps and gives some ideas!

#3 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 07:03

• caroquette

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2014

Thank you Ianrose2. That was such a good help!

#4 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 10:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

200 English pounds a night???? Holy cow! And I thought the Pullman was expensive.

#5 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 11:58

• Ianrose2

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2014

Yea it wasn't cheap but was the most amazing place we've ever stayed. It's called the Santhiya resort and spa. It's made up of villas set into the mountain side. We had a villa with a pool and sea view and was totally secluded. Google it and take a look, was well worth the money!

#6 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 13:09

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Chiang Mai is a city not a town and has red light areas like Bangkok. Everyone is not out to rip you off and after paying 200 pounds a night I'm not sure why you are concerned with 10 baht. Bangkok has markets all over the city so not sure which night markets you are talking about. If its Patpong night markets - they are terrible. JJ weekend markets are large but there isnt much there worth buying and prices are no cheaper than better markets in Pratunam and MBK shopping centre. No shortage of things to do in Bangkok.

#7 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 20:03

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Koh Pha Ngan has good beaches so no need to pay for a pool. Makes more sense to pay for a pool in the city areas where there are no beaches. You can get a good beachside bungalow for less than 50 pounds.

#8 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 20:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Carolina,

Have a look at the suggested itineraries at:

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/

Scroll down to the Thailand section where you'll find over a dozen choices for different amounts of time and different areas of the country. I'm sure you'll get great ideas on places to go based on what you like to do.

Another worthwhile stop is the interactive weather map, so you can get an idea of typical weather patterns for August. It is at:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Have fun. Regards.

#9 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 20:39

• caroquette

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2014

Thanks exacto :)

Best regards for all!

#10 Posted: 3/6/2014 - 21:24

• Advertisement

• Ianrose2

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2014

You're welcome to your opinion Turkish. What I meant with the 10 Thai baht is that they entice you into the tuk tuk with a cheap offer and then take you to a load of souvenier shops to pressure you into buying things. They in turn get fuel stamps from the souvenier shops for taking you there. This also wastes most of your day and if you've only got 2 weeks then that's obviously not what you want.

The Santhiya on koh pha ngan is nice if you want a treat. As we stayed in mainly cheap places, we though we'd push the boat out. But, as you say, there are plenty of nice, cheaper places to stay as well.

Good luck with your trip!

#11 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 00:38

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Carolina - I recently finished traveling 4 months in Thailand solo and thought I'd let you know a few places I thoroughly enjoyed:

Chiang Mai - I personally consider it a must see in Thailand. There's something really charming about it that I felt Bangkok didn't provide. Depends what you're after, but I really enjoyed staying in the northeastern part of the old city, near Somphet market. Diva Guesthouse 2 and CM Blue House are two places in this area that I can personally vouche for that are in the $7-$15 range. PM me if you'd like a few tips on great local eats (though you probably don't need assistance, great food is ubiquitous in CM)

Pai - I also really enjoyed Pai, about 3-4 hours north of CM by motorbike. I think it's best described as summer camp for adults. You guys could rent two bikes, or one, from AYA service in town, which will take your bags up for you to Pai and will also allow for one way rental. I spent about 10 days, but given your schedule I'd allow for 3-4.

Koh Lipe - This is an island extremely far south on the Andaman side. I'm not sure about the weather in August though. Absolutely gorgeous.

Tonsai - Awesome little hippie village in Railay Bay (Krabi). The karst limestone scenery is breathtaking. There's lots of exploring to do here (rock climbing, kayaking, hiking). I'd allow 4 days.

Koh Phangan is decent in my opinion. Certainly not one of my favorite islands in Thailand. I thought it had an off vibe to it, especially near the Haad Rin area.

These are just a few suggestions to get you going. As exacto noted, use the Travelfish trip planning resources - they're heaps of help.

Happy planning!

#12 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 00:47

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

Bangkok is a big diverse city that cant be judged in 3 or 4 days. That is all. You dont have to like it but its hardly full of scams or sleaze when you see the bigger picture. It only has a few small sleazy areas like any other big city and tuk tuk drivers are easily ignored. If an offer sounds to good to be true it usually is.

#13 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 01:32

• caroquette

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2014

Great!! Thank you :)

#14 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 07:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.