Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

What\'s Travelling Alone in Low Season Like?

• Madrileno

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2014

Hi there,

I am thinking of travelling alone in Thailand in July for about 8 weeks. I know this is low-season, which is cheaper and quieter, but are there still many other people travelling?

Is it still just as easy to meet other travellers in low season if you're travelling alone?

Are some of the smaller, remote islands still accessible and do tours/excursions still run in low-season?

Is there still a fairly lively backpacker scene?

Thanks for your answers!

*The \ in the title appeared automatically : )

#1 Posted: 6/6/2014 - 09:49

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Low season is more like May/early-June and again in Sept/early-Oct, but in July and August many school-aged Europeans and North Americans and families come to Thailand, etc. Some of the smaller islands down the SW coast, ferry services, and activities like scuba diving shut down partially due to sea conditions, but still loads of people travelling in the more popular destinations. July is particularly busy for the likes of Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao on the more sheltered/sunny Gulf side.

#2 Posted: 6/6/2014 - 10:01

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

You will not have trouble meeting other travellers

However as above you do need to study weather patterns for the different islands and coastal areas because there is considerable variation

#3 Posted: 7/6/2014 - 05:29

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

None of the ferries shut down due to seas. They shut down due to low demand. There are daily boats to Phi Phi, Lipe, Chang, Kood. Lipe and Kood are both far from mainland but there is now enough demand to operate daily boats.

May to Oct is low season.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2014 - 05:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Is it still just as easy to meet other travellers in low season if you're travelling alone?"

It's back! The theme repeats itself. Don't feel like you need to meet other tourists. The best part of coming here is meeting and socializing with indigenous persons. Give it a shot.

#5 Posted: 8/6/2014 - 09:16

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

MADMAC What associate with the locals!!!! surely not why an earth would you want to come all this way and meet the locals when you can spend your time in an overpriced bar drinking and eating with fellow travellers and enjoying pizza, banana pancakes and burgers

I have to say I am always amazed at the number of such posts but then I am well travelled and I usually chose to spend my time in places where there are no travelers and not where they all hang out. I am totally unfazed by not seeing a fellow westerners for the entire trip and the experience is all the richer for it

#6 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 05:42

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

July itself is just 31 days-4,5 weeks.And for the low-budget bekpek sector its DEFINitely NOT low season, in fact its about as busy as the usual time around 25/12=1/1. Due to all those superrich (though claiming to be poor studnets) European types with monthes of holidays.

#7 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 07:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You and I must be weirdos amnicoll.

#8 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 08:46

• Turkishpizza

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2014

July is middle of low season and the whole Andaman coast is very quiet apart from Phi Phi and Patong.

Christmas time is much more busy.

#9 Posted: 10/6/2014 - 06:07

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Madmac - old weirdo in my case.

Whilst I will visit the tourist sights in new places for me travel is all about the local culture and food. I may be considered adventurous in visiting some of the places that I go to but I have found it to be very rewarding and have met many wonderful "local" people as a result. To see posters saying to ignore any local who approaches you is a sad indictment and only applies in the small number of places where the banana pancake brigade congregate.

As a single person then I find that I am only alone if I want to be alone and that the locals are very welcoming and friendly

#10 Posted: 10/6/2014 - 06:27

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time travelling SE Asia, whats the best way to get around? ... By SEAsianBegin on 21 May 2013 7 6657 22 May 2013