Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok, 2 weeks, 7-21 july, is it safe to go?

• sausan

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2014

Hi,
    Me and my friend are going to Thailand for two weeks in july. But acording to recent events we are a bit woried about the situation there especially in Bangkok

So my question is:
    Is it safe to go to Bangkok or it is best to stay in some close by towns or even go to Chon Bury, Pattay etc.?

#1 Posted: 8/6/2014 - 06:55

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

BKK and Thai for that is NOT safe, has never been and wont be. But thats for quite another reason as your fears. Its TRAFFIC that makes the most of real victims, very closely followed by ripoffs and thefts, but do not fear, its not the US-style hold up, its sneeky from your luggage. having dealt with that for years whilst sitting in a fone help centre for travel insurance, I thus strongly also advise you to take that out, in case you even doubt about it. it always comes in the top5 of countries with most claims made after travel. In fact the actions of the army have in fact taken off a great deal of the former annoyance and occasional shootings that happened in the mobs of then. And it seems they now even are busy catching some unusual rich taxidrivers and those in the police having '''protected'' them for doing that.

#2 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 07:10

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

A bit negative here. I think you over state. Thailand may be in the top 5 but did you weight the data by the number of visitors?

Theft is NOT a big problem apart from people leaving money and valuable in luggage when travelling especially on the buses from Koah San Road and on the boats to the islands and generally being stupid (at full moon parties).

The other are of big claims is from those hiring motocycles

There are some rip offs /scam especially in the tourist traps sure but read up and just be careful

Adopt normal precautions and I would say Thailand is safe although I would avoid pattaya myself. As for the coup then make sure you keep up to date and avoid protest areas and allow more time to get to airport/bus and train stations and if there is a curfew respect it

#3 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 08:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Captain - maybe a touch of hyperbole there. I have lived here 7 years, no car accidents, no bus accidents, never been robbed... in fact, I've been treated very well by the locals since I have lived here. It's not all bad.

#4 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 09:00

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I live in Bangkok and feel perfectly safe from soldiers, protests, traffic, scams or whatever else. There are actually no "protest areas" to avoid and haven't really been since the coup... Military / police are stamping out the tiniest hints of protests before they even start. The biggest protest this past Sunday was around seven people holding up three fingers at Siam Paragon. I doubt it will change much by July, could change a lot of course down the road but that soon would be surprising. Bangkok has actually been a lot safer since the coup, which finally stopped the anti-government protests. The more worrying thing for people who live here is the heavy-handed suppression of freedom of speech. But travelers have nothing out of the ordinary to worry about right now in terms of safety.

#5 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 09:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The general consensus remains among everyone I know that the coup was necessary, that the coup leaders are doing a good job and keeping everyone informed, and that things are progressing reasonably well. I'm not detecting any discontent at the moment. I think part of the reason you aren't seeing real protests is because there isn't support for them at the moment.

#6 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 10:12

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

The Thais I know each have their own unique stance on it, ranging from staunch support of the coup to a sort of let's see how it plays out attitude to complete indifference and passionate opposition. The majority seem to fall into the "let's see how it plays out" category.

I think part of the reason you aren't seeing real protests is because there isn't support for them at the moment.

I suppose the other parts of the reason would be that anyone protesting faces arrest by soldiers and several days of detention if not worse? And also that red shirt leaders are being either detained or monitored around the clock? Those things might have something to do with it. The initial protests around Victory Monument, which were spontaneous and almost completely unorganized, were picking up steam fast -- around 2,000 there a couple weeks ago and growing every day -- but the military completely stifled them by closing off the entire area and arresting any protesters it could find. In Bangkok at least, just a few kids holding up three fingers draw a mass of soldiers within a matter of minutes. It's not like the atmosphere right now is conducive to freely expressing your views, so it's impossible to tell what the response would be without the military's suppressive policy. This report might give an idea.

#7 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 21:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

It's true you can only draw conclusions from talking to individuals. But I have talked to quite a few, and I haven't heard one dissenting voice myself.

Yes, organizers are being kept under wraps. But Army presence in Mukdahan is really small. I have seen soldiers on only two days since the coup. and yet we have no protests, no hint of protests, and I am in the heart of Red Shirt country. All of my neighbors are Red Shirt supporters and all support the coup. So... draw what you want from that. Personally I think the portrayal of the Army as totally biased against the Red Shirts is hyperbole. People have said the Army never moved on Suthep, but then neither did the police, which were Red Shirt supporters. Nor was the Army ordered to do so. When the coup took place, Suthep was ordered to end his protest post with (and he did) and then he was detained. I don't doubt there is some bias there, but I think western media overplays that bias.

#8 Posted: 9/6/2014 - 23:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.