Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Can anyone recommend any "real" backpacker beaches/places to stay in Thailand?

• Madrileno

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2014

I am going to Thailand for the first time for July/August.

My plan is Bangkok > Surat Thani > Ko Pha Ngang > Krabi > West Coast Islands > Chang Mai and North > Bangkok

I'd like to try and stay in places that have a relaxed backpacker atmosphere, where I can access some of the local culture, yet still relatively lively and sociable. I am mainly interested in, eating local food; snorkelling; jungle trekking; watching nature.

Does anyone know any beaches like this in the places I am going? Also does anyone know if the West Coast Islands are still open in low-season?

Thanks for your answers!

*\\ were added by site's CMS

#1 Posted: 12/6/2014 - 06:01

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Don't know what "real" means to you. Islands are generally not great places for exploring "authentic" food; Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Krabi town are all good for that if you venture away from the traveler-oriented cafes and hit the markets and street stalls. We have a bunch of food listings here on TF but here are a few great blogs with a lot of specifics and how-to kind of stuff on food in Thailand:

www.eatingthaifood.com
    www.austinbushphotography.com
    www.bangkokglutton.com

July/August is wet on the Andaman side and accommodation / restaurants on some of my favorite lesser known islands, like Ko Bulon Lae and Ko Jum, will be almost completely closed. I would normally suggest Ko Lipe and Ko Lanta, but I've never actually been to either at that time of year so can't say exactly what it will be like. Also the national park islands near Lipe (Tarutao, Adang, etc.) will be closed at that time.

In short, you can expect any west coast island to be pretty quiet, which kind of thwarts your "lively and sociable" requirement. Places like Ao Nang and parts of Phuket will still have nightlife going on, but it doesn't sound like they're the kinds of places you'd be interested in given your "local culture" requirement. You'll find great snorkeling off Ko Tao, and the Gulf side tends to be less wet at that time of year (you could easily hop from Pha Ngan to Tao). Just read the specific TF destination guides for each island to figure out which beaches seem right for you.

#2 Posted: 12/6/2014 - 06:55

• Madrileno

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2014

Hi DLuek,

Thanks a lot, a really helpful and informative answer. Ha, ha, yes, I realise the word ''real'' does sound quite pretentious, I am using it with a pinch of salt though ; )

I think I will try to get my ''lively and sociable'' fix in Ko Pha Ngang and enjoy some relaxation on the west coast if they are quite like you say. Thanks again!

Out of interest, any thoughts on what Ko Kut is like this time of year?

#3 Posted: 12/6/2014 - 07:13

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Koh Kut and area will be WET WET WET in July and August. Won't be many people, though.

#4 Posted: 12/6/2014 - 09:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Off the beaten track : places to recommend ... By millionario on 6 Sep 2009 22 10046 3 Jun 2010
2 new places to recommend near Luang Prabang ... By EdwardTrunk on 6 Apr 2014 0 1237 6 Apr 2014
backpacker places around malaysia and singapoe? ... By russellburton1987 on 11 Jan 2009 3 4102 13 Jan 2009
Ban Phe.. have to stay in vicinity but where does anyone recommend? ... By roothc on 11 Dec 2006 15 3141 5 Feb 2007